Hello from Upstate New York!

cellotouke

Reaction score
What a wonderful place for a (relative) newbie to learn about the joys of ukulele playing! I look forward to learning from other uke enthusiasts here at the UU. I have played the cello for most of my life, and was convinced last fall by my SO that life was not complete until we learned to play the uke together! It has been a joyous journey, and I look forward to having even more time to explore the uke world when I retire next spring. I have so many questions about everything uke, so I will be 'talking' to you soon! Many thanks in advance!

Welcome! I always marvel at how relative the phrase "Upstate NY" is to people from different parts of the state - I'm in Syracuse and people here sometimes refer to this areas as upstate NY, but then I hear people from Westchester County act like "upstate" belongs to them!

Howdy neighbor! I'm in the Syracuse area, too. Are you a member of SCU?

Welcome to UU, cellotouke!
There are many people here, who've enjoyed and explored other instruments before they discover the uke. There are also many other who take it up as a first instrument. This little instrument spreads a lot of joy!

What a small world! I'm not a member of SCU but I know several people who are - it's a great group!

Welcome Cellotouke! I think you'll find the ukulele is a lot more portable than the cello.

That's great that you and your wife are learning to play together. Perhaps some day my wife will be interested in playing ukulele. It's a lot of fun.

Yes, far more portable! I can carry 3or 4 ukes at a time! Although playing my ‘electric’ cello did expand my horizons beyond the classical genre, I will say that the uke has taken me to a new level of fun in the company of wonderful people!!

I think of Syracuse as Central NY; To me, Upstate is North of Lake George. (I'm in Schenectady).

Welcome Aboard.

Wow, the cello is not for sissies! James Hill's wife is a cellist, you should look them up.
We have a friend who plays the carbon built cello, it sounds nearly like wood.

Top Bottom