Help Needed with Tuners

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'm just about finished building this uke, but I have a problem. I made a wide headstock, not thinking about the fact that the geared tuners must be about 1/2" from the edge.

The problem is that the E string is at such an angle that it pops out of the slot in the nut. The C and E strings are at the greatest angle, but the C has been staying put.

I tried cutting the slot for E a bit deeper, but I don't want E to be lower on the nut than the other strings. Aside from cutting the headstock narrower, I could remove the tuners, plug the holes with dowels, and install Graphtech Ratio tuners.

I'm using Worth Brown, low-G. I'd be glad to hear better ideas.

What about putting a string tree/string retainer right behind the nut? Could even just be a tiny screw with a bushing on it to act as a post to bend the string around versus having the bend happen right at the nut. Some inspiration:

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/string-trees-and-retainers/

This is definitely not typical on a uke, but it is common on electric guitars.

What about putting a string tree/string retainer right behind the nut? Could even just be a tiny screw with a bushing on it to act as a post to bend the string around versus having the bend happen right at the nut. Some inspiration:

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/string-trees-and-retainers/

This is definitely not typical on a uke, but it is common on electric guitars.

Thanks. I was thinking of something like that, but I didn't know that was a thing. Great idea! I'll take a look. I'm still in the "Free Shipping" category on S-M.

EDIT: I see they're also called "string trees." I also noticed that a greater tilt angle of the headstock would help avoid that string slipping.

Last edited:
Graphtech tuners are probably your best bet, but another way would be to use a zero fret and fit the "nut" upside down.

John ColterUkabosy pegs.jpg

Zero fret is a great idea, more elegant than a string tree.

Did you angle your nut slot towards the post?

Since yours is at a large angle, split the difference. This means new nut, but your current one doesn't work anyway.

Also, is the exit end of the nut a straight slot, or a cone?

I learn something new every day. I never thought to angle the slot in the nut. I ordered some string retainers/trees, so that should do the trick.

You don't need string trees or zero frets. Just make the nut taller and cut the slots deeper. The slots should be angled towards the string posts at the same angle of entry. Strings should not popping out of the slots.

Top Bottom