Beatles book for Christmas gift

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I got my young adult nephew a tenor uke last Christmas. I'd like to send him some music books this year. I'm thinking about a book with Beatles songs. I see there are a few choices on Amazon. Any recommendations? He's an intermediate player with a little guitar background. Any other books other than Beatles?
Thanks.

I like this one. https://www.halleonard.com/product/124415/the-beatles-for-fingerstyle-ukulele

00124415FCz.jpg

I agree with man0a. If your nephew is an intermediate player this should fill the bill.

Third the recommendation for this one. It has both chord-melody arrangements in tab & standard notation and lyric+chord sheets for most of the songs. Outside of Beatles the similar Star Wars book is another of my favourites.

I'm much less fond of the many books that are just simplified lyric+chord sheets. I like books with lyrics, chords, and melody line that I can arrange around.

Whatever the format of the book, it has to have songs I'm interested in to be useful. That's something you'll have to get from your nephew. I always miss when I try to guess what my music my nieces are interested in, and there's little worse than last year's favourite!

I think I have around four different Beatles song books, but the one I alwasy go back to is the Little Black Book of Beatles Song for Ukulele (Wise Publications). It has no tab, just lyrics and chords, it has a plastic spine that's slowly breaking apart and it has its ommissions (195 songs, so missing songs are all covers and a single instrumental: Act Naturally, Anna, Baby It's You, Bad Boy, Devil in Her Heart, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby, Flying, Kansas City, Long Tall Sally, Maggie May, Matchbox, Money, Rock 'n Roll Music, Slow Down, Words of Love, and all the additions from the Archaelogy and Live at the BBC sessions).

BUT. It's cheap. It's handy, because it's so small and compact, like a pocket book. It's always in the right key, and if it isn't, it indicated what the right key on the recording is (and that's never too far off). It suggests with chords how to play those typical Beatles riffs. It shows the chords for those typical intros, breaks, outros, solos - not always just the chords for verses or choruses!

In short, it's a handy and quite correct reference guide, full of personal annotations reminding me where to play fills, inversions, descending/ascending lines over chords... and a lot of fun. More so than those big encyclopedic Beatles fakebooks which only serve me as backup.

I also love to give gifts often to my loved ones. Mostly I love to take as many toys as possible for my little girl and make her happy because her smile brings me thousands of positive emotions and in such moments nothing else matters. The last thing she really liked was personalized bobbleheads as a gift, namely from these dolls she has a very good mood and always wants to sleep with them because she finds something extraordinarily brilliant. Has anyone here ever tried to buy something like this and see the person's reaction?

Last edited:
I got my young adult nephew a tenor uke last Christmas. I'd like to send him some music books this year. I'm thinking about a book with Beatles songs. I see there are a few choices on Amazon. Any recommendations? He's an intermediate player with a little guitar background. Any other books other than Beatles?
Thanks.

Check your PMs

The way i was raised: once you knew the Beatles, you knew music. They use different keys, borrow from different genres, and have many chords. The book I use is Beatles The Complete Scores by Hal Leonard.

Top Bottom