Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uke Wanted

Default Uke Wanted

This is an update about the uke I'm trying to find for a friend of a friend.

She wants a tenor, solid wood, low-G, and strap buttons. I showed her gotaukulele and the ratings, and she wants one rated 9.5 or higher. Traditional shape. She's raised her spending limit to over $600, but spending less would also be good.

She looked at one made of koi, but it was sold. That sounds kinda fishy. It probably wouldn't have a nice smell, anyway.

I'm going to spend some time looking online, but if you happen to know of something appropriate, let me know.

Thanks

No mahogany!
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 11-11-2020 at 06:23 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Those snail ukuleles at the Southern Ukulele Store look pretty nice. I think Baz did a review of a laminate version and gave it a 9.0, so an all solid one might be what you need and it's under your price point. Good luck!
    Everyone I know who is into the ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves - George Harrison

Some of my faves right now: *Kamaka HF-3D2I *Kamaka HF-3D Anniversary *Kamaka HB-2D *Sumi Kobo Spruce/Maple Tenor *Blackbird Farallon Sunburst *Blackbird Clara *KoAloha KTM-00 *Concert Flea

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    Those snail ukuleles at the Southern Ukulele Store look pretty nice. I think Baz did a review of a laminate version and gave it a 9.0, so an all solid one might be what you need and it's under your price point. Good luck!
    Thanks. I can see myself spending all day on this, but I could do worse that looking at ukes online.

LoPrinzi might be good. Their Mahogany tenor is good and it plays easy.
    aNueNue AMM2 African Mahogany
    Ko'Aloha Opio Acacia, Spruce/Acacia there are usually some of these used floating around
    I assume you have rejected Pono. Their deluxe versions are right around $600 new.
    Kala Elite 1s I think are going for $600 - $700
    Cocobolo. Bare bones. But by the time you include shipping its more like $775
    Pepe Romeros are about $850 new.

I'm sure there must be a bazillion others in the $600 price range.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I showed her gotaukulele and the ratings, and she wants one rated 9.5 or higher.
    The only tenors at 9.5 or higher on Got a Ukulele are KoAloha and aNueNue Moon Bird which are over her budget. Such a shame she won't settle on a 9.4 since then she could get the Forest Ukuleles FUZZ-S tenor (a store brand for the Uke Room) which is just within her budget. Oh well...

Obviously I'm being facetious. I'm sure you realise how silly it is to limit yourself to a number set by a single ukulele reviewer. In all seriousness, you (she) should definitely check out the Uke Room's store brand ukes. They don't have the FUZZ-S available anymore but they do have the FUZZ-C which is the cedar version. I'm willing to bet that's an excellent uke for the money.

If you're checking out SUS for the Snail ukes, be sure to check out the Millar ukes also. They're supposedly really good for the price as well. You could also check World of Ukes for them since they offer free shipping at the price of the Millar tenors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    LoPrinzi might be good. Their Mahogany tenor is good and it plays easy.
    aNueNue AMM2 African Mahogany
    Ko'Aloha Opio Acacia, Spruce/Acacia there are usually some of these used floating around
    I assume you have rejected Pono. Their deluxe versions are right around $600 new.
    Kala Elite 1s I think are going for $600 - $700
    Cocobolo. Bare bones. But by the time you include shipping its more like $775
    Pepe Romeros are about $850 new.

I'm sure there must be a bazillion others in the $600 price range.
    Yes, I suggested several of them. She's still thinking. Actually, her latest email told me to pick one out and buy it for her. What are the chances I would pick one she liked?

I have to agree with Dohle here. Sticking to only 9.5 or higher is way too overly restrictive. You need to put Baz's (or anyone's for that matter) scores into perspective. Anything over an 8 gets a "recommended" from him, and anything over a 9 is "absolutely essential and recommended." There are a lot of great instruments he has reviewed that your friend of a friend should absolutely consider.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Without knowing much about her background, there's really not much to recommend.
    Is she near you? If so, why not let her try a few of your ukes in the price range. Then just tell her to buy one that she likes best.

Low G and strap buttons you can add to any ukulele. If she doesnt want to do it herself, all you need to do is to buy from a music shop that will do it for her in stead of Amazon. But I figure that was not the plan anyway.

It says "no Mahogany" In the OP. For the looks or the sound? And is Khaya (african Mahogany) included?

Someone mention the Anuenue AMM 2. That is a concert ukulele, but I have the AMM3 tenor, and I will agree that it sounds great with low G. The "african Mahogany" is stained and finished so It looks nothing like a plain Mahogany ukulele.
    3 tenors ukuleles and 4 concert ukuleles, wonder it that is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    Someone mention the Anuenue AMM 2. That is a concert ukulele, but I have the AMM3 tenor, and I will agree that it sounds great with low G. The "african Mahogany" is stained and finished so It looks nothing like a plain Mahogany ukulele.
    I have the AMM2 with low G. I agree that these models from aNueNue are excellent if you're after a low G uke. The quality for the price of these is exceptionally good.

I don't really understand why you'd disregard mahogany ukes.

Thread Information