Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uke Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    I have the AMM2 with low G. I agree that these models from aNueNue are excellent if you're after a low G uke. The quality for the price of these is exceptionally good.

I don't really understand why you'd disregard mahogany ukes.
    It's not me disregarding mahogany, it's the potential buyer. Oh, and it has to be solid wood, no laminates or alternate materials.

Translating her search into familiar terms, she wants the equivalent of a Hawaiian koa K brand for $600. "To dream the impossible dream..." It's gotten to the point where she wants me to pick one out and buy it for her using her credit card. Unless it a koa K, she's going to be disappointed.

Part of email from her -

""Would you love the sound for years? Remember i am purchasing 1 uku -----i love the bargain but will I love the sound for time to come?"
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 11-12-2020 at 01:56 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    It's not me disregarding mahogany, it's the potential buyer.
    Apologies. I'm posting as if talking to the buyer, not you, but I should've conveyed that better. And I don't envy your position one bit.

If the requirement really is basically a K brand for $600 or thereabouts, I would just go with a KoAloha Opio and be done with it. That's basically the same construction as a Hawaiian KoAloha, just not made out of koa.

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Without knowing much about her background, there's really not much to recommend.
    Is she near you? If so, why not let her try a few of your ukes in the price range. Then just tell her to buy one that she likes best.
    Yes, it is hard to know what to recommend, considering what she wants and her price range. My latest recommendation is a page of Pono tenors from HMS. This has been dragging on for two weeks now. I want to limit my contact with her to email. She gave me her phone number, but I'm not going to call. There's no way I want to start meeting with her in person. She's not a player, but she want a "perfect" uke that will be her one and only. I've offered her over a dozen suggestions, and this page of Ponos will be my last.

It's not me disregarding mahogany, it's the potential buyer. Oh, and it has to be solid wood, no laminates or alternate materials.

Translating her search into familiar terms, she wants the equivalent of a Hawaiian koa K brand for $600. "To dream the impossible dream..." It's gotten to the point where she wants me to pick one out and buy it for her using her credit card. Unless it a koa K, she's going to be disappointed.

Part of email from her -

""Would you love the sound for years? Remember i am purchasing 1 uku -----i love the bargain but will I love the sound for time to come?"
    Maybe a Martin T1K?
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

I'm thinking it is perhaps not the uke she is after ....................
    Kamaka HF-3DC - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Kanile'a SUS B DLX - Kanile'a K-1B - Pono MGTP5-PC

Part of email from her -

I would punt this whole situation. She's putting all of the burden on you and if you don't satisfy her exacting expectations, and odds are sounding likely that you won't, she'll blame you. She's an adult with a credit card. Kindly offer your advice as you already have and let her do the rest.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Maybe a Martin T1K?
    I suggested that.

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I'm thinking it is perhaps not the uke she is after ....................
    Do not go there!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I would punt this whole situation. She's putting all of the burden on you and if you don't satisfy her exacting expectations, and odds are sounding likely that you won't, she'll blame you. She's an adult with a credit card. Kindly offer your advice as you already have and let her do the rest.
    Nail-On-The-Head!

I'm with mikelz777 at this point. Time to walk away.

You have already done more than could reasonably be expected of you. No good can come of continuing on this path. The decision and its consequences must ultimately be theirs, not yours.

Say it with me, "I've given you all the advice I can. Instruments are personal, and this is your ukulele, not mine. You will have to make the choice for yourself."
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Thread Information