Valuable Advice

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I try to be helpful, but there is a limit. As you might have seen in other threads, a friend of a friend asked me for advice about buying a first ukulele. It's been a nightmare.

Here's my advice to you: Never agree to pick out a ukulele for anyone. Answer their questions about brands and materials, but let them search and do the buying.

This "help" has been going on for two weeks now, and it's gotten to the point where she wants me to pick out a uke and buy it, using her credit card. It must be a uke she will love forever because it will be her one and only.

I tried to buy a Mandolin for my spouse one time without her seeing or playing the instrument first. It was to be a surprise. I was told in very direct terms that I was to never buy her an instrument as a surprise or without her first playing it. She is a trained and accomplished musician with a very good ear. You would do well to help your friend but as you have found let her buy her instrument. If she cannot do the physical shopping herself, can she at least do the online listening if you give her the samples to go investigate? Many of us have bought online from reputable dealers after an exhaustive online search and review and have been quite happy with our purchases. And sometime we have not been satisfied. Same could be said for in store shopping.

Oh and if she wants a K brand kind of uke for $600 politely tell her to buy used, pony up the money, or get an Opio.

Can't always have your cake and eat it as well.

Last edited:
First, I feel both your pains. We have an understanding, if I’m going to be surprised with anything musical and in particular....a Ukulele............I let my wife know what I want and pick it out. ThT way everyone is happy. It’s very hard to pick a instrument for a player.

Second, Jerry , your friend should realize that it’s never a ONE and ONLY ukulele especially for a beginner and on a first instrument. Perhaps you should lend her a couple of yours to try but, given a budget, I’d suggest three, show her on line sound sample, get a feel for what colour or sound of general look she like.......then she must pick. Otherwise..........you will both go crazy. LOL.

Good luck.

your friend should realize that she, and only she, can pick the one that she will love forever. and that's what I'd tell her iiwm. "I'd be happy to help narrow your choices or provide pros and cons of each, and even look it over when it arrives and maybe make adjustments if needed, but only you can pick one that you will love forever." done

Jerry, I can't be the only person thinking you may be an excellent person to ask about ukuleles but also the least qualified to find a "one and only" :D

A few years back, a friend's wife called me and asked for help finding a ukulele for her husband - she wanted to surprise him for his birthday.

We talked about price range, and a coupe of other minor details, and I made a call of my own - I called Mim.

We talked for about an hour, and pretty much narrowed down to two ukes, and I had my friend's wife give her a call. After they spoke, the friend's wife called me - they had chosen the uke I would have picked for myself.

I had a spare tenor foam case, so I donated it to the cause, and when she surprised him with the uke, History was made.

The recipient of the uke is now the organizer of one of our local groups, the Normanskill Strummers. (And has since picked out many ukes on his own!)

So my advice? If the person can't pick out their own, send them to a Pro.

-Kurt

A few years back, a friend's wife called me and asked for help finding a ukulele for her husband - she wanted to surprise him for his birthday.

We talked about price range, and a coupe of other minor details, and I made a call of my own - I called Mim.

We talked for about an hour, and pretty much narrowed down to two ukes, and I had my friend's wife give her a call. After they spoke, the friend's wife called me - they had chosen the uke I would have picked for myself.

I had a spare tenor foam case, so I donated it to the cause, and when she surprised him with the uke, History was made.

The recipient of the uke is now the organizer of one of our local groups, the Normanskill Strummers. (And has since picked out many ukes on his own!)

So my advice? If the person can't pick out their own, send them to a Pro.

-Kurt

I narrowed her choice to a page of Pono tenors on the HMS site. All beautiful and all in the $500 range. All she has to do is pick a color - light or dark. I hope this is the end of it.

This could have all been avoided had you asked her over to try everyone of your ukes in her price range and then sold it to her.

This could have all been avoided had you asked her over to try everyone of your ukes in her price range and then sold it to her.

I'd probably have to add a room to the house because I'm sure she would want to spend days trying each one. There's no winning here. :)

Once in a while, everyone gets caught in a "No good deed goes unpunished." Still... Keep smiling, and helping.:eek:

have her call HMS or Mim and talk to folks who give info as their profession...i think that is why they are in business...she can even return the uke if she does not like it....not sure why you are going through this you know each uke speaks to the player...sound samples help also....

This just sounds too weird.

IA. Friend of a friend should not be giving out her credit card info to you and having you purchase something for her with it.

Remind her that she can resell something if it turns out to not be exactly what she wanted. But she has to decide what to try after you've given her guidance, as you have, and make the purchase herself.

A one and only forever uke on the first purchase is a long shot indeed. If it was a Martin 5K soprano I could see that happening.

Beware the rescuer does not become the victim.

have her call HMS or Mim and talk to folks who give info as their profession...i think that is why they are in business...she can even return the uke if she does not like it....not sure why you are going through this you know each uke speaks to the player...sound samples help also....

No! I refuse to transfer this to anyone else! Yes, that did occur to me, but she would make multiple calls with lengthy discussions - all for one "Lifetime" uke. She would probably mention my name, and my reputation with those sellers would be ruined. : )

In searching for a uke for her, I actually put one in my cart last night. Fortunately, I had the good sense to stop before actually buying it. If she doesn't buy a Pono from the HMS page I sent her, I'm finished.

No! I refuse to transfer this to anyone else! Yes, that did occur to me, but she would make multiple calls with lengthy discussions - all for one "Lifetime" uke. She would probably mention my name, and my reputation with those sellers would be ruined. : )

In searching for a uke for her, I actually put one in my cart last night. Fortunately, I had the good sense to stop before actually buying it. If she doesn't buy a Pono from the HMS page I sent her, I'm finished.

Hopefully if she orders the Pono she likes it but if the tone is not to her liking she can return for exchange and she will be back where you started with her..i suggest she calls HMS or MIM as she has more knowledge now ...and can ask and explain better than since you been helping her...the shops can help her with setup info if she calls..HMS store front has reopened..but i have seen them calling folks back to talk story about anything uke....

Top Bottom