Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Since 1960; Uke since 2017.

Default Guitar Since 1960; Uke since 2017.

Hi!

My name is Tom Karol. I live in the Boston Metrowest area. I've played Guitar for 60 years. I also play a bit of Banjo and Bass. I picked up Ukulele about 4 years ago, and I've become totally enamored with it.

I had a few false starts with moderately priced instruments, but I now have 3 superb Tenor Ukes (in order of acquisition):
    Godin Multi Uke (Martin M625 Hi G)
    Blackbird Farallon (also Martin M625 Hi G)
    KoAloha KTM-25 Factory Special (Worth CT63 Lo G)

Lots of interesting information on this forum - glad to be here!
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 11-15-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Worth CT63, not CL63

Welcome to UU, Tom!

You're not exaggerating about your tenors; those are all dream ukes for many of us. I hope you'll continue to have lots of fun with the humble ukulele!

Welcome Tom. I played guitar from 1965 when I was 15, to 2013 when I bought a uke on a whim and then went to a play-along series at the Los Angeles Music center. I too became enamored with the uke, so much so that I never touched my four guitars again and gave them to my very accomplished guitar playing nephew. I also took up the bass uke a year later, which has become my primary instrument. Since then I've accumulated 8 ukes and 30 bass ukes/mini bass guitars.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Hey Tom,

Welcome from the South Shore!
    "Life is short. Opera is long."

Anonymous

Hi Tom! Another old (ex)guitar player here. I find the uke is so much more fun. As an aside, my oldest daughter lives about 40 minutes north of you, in Portsmouth, NH. My son is in Nashua. I've spent much time driving AROUND Boston, via 495, to visit them, lol.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Howdy Tom,
    I bought my first guitar, a used Goya M-26, in 1960 as well. I picked up banjo and mandolin and a bunch of other instruments along the way too. I think I've been playing uke for about 15 years now.

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the UU Forum. There's a guitar section as well.

Tried to learn guitar off and on in high school and college. Just couldn't get the chords right. Especially the barre chords.

Took up the tenor uke three years ago and never looked back. Y'all have a nice selection of ukes. Keep havin' fun.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Welcome Tom!

Thank you all for the warm wishes. I fell in love with the Uke, but not at the expense of other instruments. I find playing Guitar, Uke, Banjo, and Bass makes me better at all of them than if I only played just one. I do believe I'll stick around here!

Welcome to UU. Do you play Bluegrass music?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information