Why are ukes mostly tuned to gCEA instead of DGBE?

Reaction score
It seems to me that linear tuning DGBE is much more logical than gCEA. What is the advantage of gCEA that makes it the dominant tuning? I am 75 years old. Would I be better off choosing one tuning or the other and sticking with it - or will it be good for my brain to try to learn both tunings?
Yes, I know there are more than two choices - please don't confuse me:)
If I want to play a melody one note at a time - it seems that DGBE tuning would be easier.

As a bass/guitar player my first two ukes were a bass (EADG) and a baritone (DGBE) as those tunings were familiar to me. I've since bought a Soprano and Concert (both gCEA) and honestly it was not difficult to get used to the new tuning. If you get a baritone (DGBE) and capo at the 5th fret you'll have GCEA tuning.

I think it depends on the country you live in. In Canada, or British Columbia anyways, the preferred tuning they used is G tuning rather than C tuning. I'm sure those more technical will respond Selwyn. Yeah, find the tuning you like and stick with it if you are just learning. I play both tunings; for tenor I use GCEA, for baritone I tune it DGBE, like the top four strings of a guitar

The way you have DGBE written would make for a low D string. If you want to play like the gCEA tuning you have, it would be dGBE; making the d string the higher pitched. If you want to play with a low pitched G string it would be GCEA.

Yes, DGBE would be easier and if that is what you want, it is only logical. I don't know why ukuleles are tuned reentrant, but they are and to me that is what makes them interesting and challenging. I would imagine it is to make the sound of the ukulele unique from other stringed instruments but I don't know that. There are ways to get around those two or three lower notes that are absent with the reentrant tuning, but they are not as easy and just going up and down the scale. It is challenging. The reasons that I myself play the ukulele is because of the tuning and the unique sound. When all I want to do is linearly go up and down the scale plucking out melody notes I'll do it on a guitar. Lots of notes on a guitar and they all follow each other up and down in a very orderly fashion. I do that, by the way. When I want to have a little fun, I play my reentrant uke. To me it feels like I'm flaunting convention. I'm a rebel on the ukulele, a child of the sixties. That's me anyway.

Although I’ve got a couple of sopranos tuned to gCEA, the main ukulele I play is a concert uke with blues strings tuned to DGBE. The reason for this is that I mainly play my ukulele as an accompaniment to a harmonica on a neck rack, and as the harmonica is quite high pitched already I much prefer playing a DGBE tuned uke with it.

There are some things to note about doing this though. After playing gCEA tuning the DGBE strings do feel a little sloppy for a minute or two, also it’s not as nice when it comes to finger picking.

However, for providing a rhythm accompaniment to my harmonica I much prefer it.

Last edited:
It seems to me that linear tuning DGBE is much more logical than gCEA. What is the advantage of gCEA that makes it the dominant tuning? I am 75 years old. Would I be better off choosing one tuning or the other and sticking with it - or will it be good for my brain to try to learn both tunings?
If I want to play a melody one note at a time - it seems that DGBE tuning would be easier.

Well, I'm not an expert or historian. I agree that if you're just going to play chords, linear tuning is maybe more logical, but the high G will have a slightly different sound. Now, if you're going to fingerpick melodies, having a high G opens up different possibilities for how to arrange tunes or lay them out. I came to the uke from clawhammer banjo, where we have a short high G or A string, but many common tunings have the 1st and 2nd string (the ones closest to the floor) tuned only a whole step apart. That seems weird until you learn some of the traditional tunes and find that the melodies make use of that step (or, with a fret or two down, a third) all the time. And that high 5th string comes in handy in lots of ways too. I use it for melody notes when the melody goes high enough. The rest of the time, it rings like a rhythmic drone.

Now, a banjo and a uke are not the same, but I would imagine that the reentrant tuning evolved for similar reasons - to achieve pleasant chord voicings or to make reaching particular melody notes easier.

The original tuning of ukes was adf#b, and I think that going up to DGBE would sound much too plinky. Also at the time they used gut strings and am not sure if they were manufactured at a diameter suitable for that to get playable tension.

From a music theory perspective what reentrant tuning does is give you perfectly stacked triads in root position, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion. This "tight" chord voicing is part of what gives reentrant uke it distinct sound. I know of of no other string instrument that can give you those voicings so readily. This is the magic of the reentrant tuned ukulele.

Last edited:
DGBE is borderline too low on a baritone. It's MUCH too low on smaller sizes.

Can you do it? Sure. But the tension and body resonance doesn't work in your favor.

Dirk at Southcoast wrote a great piece on this and why he recommended high-D on baritone while he was alive. His site is gone, but Wayback Machine still has some of it: https://web.archive.org/web/20180428075505/http://www.southcoastukes.com/ti-linearbaritone.htm.

I miss Dirk from Southcoast. He was a generous and extremely wise person who was always a pleasure to talk with; and he had the best ukulele strings.

Dirk recommended gCEA for concert sizes, fBbDG for tenors, and aDF#B for sopranos; which is how I tune mine. The chord shapes are the same so that helps.

Last edited:
To op, you must realize tuhat g6 tuning is way too low for ukulele. C6 is good for a concert uke and sopranos may sound better with D6. So dgbe that is 4th lower is a no go.

I am probably wrong here, but if you capo a guitar at the 5th fret and play the top four strings, you have GCEA. Same as low G tuning. The g vs G is not material IMHO. I am a low G player as well as a guitar picker.

I think, we have at least two different questions mixed up here. The first is: why are ukes tuned higher than guitars? And the answer is obvious: they are smaller, and the smaller bodies don’t really resonate well with a lower DGBE tuning. And on closer inspection, you’ll see that DGBE and a (linear) GCEA tuning aren’t different at all: The fingerings/chord shapes are exactly the same, just the names of the chords that ring are different: a g-major chord here is a c-majore there and so on.
So although it is technically possible to tune a smaller uke in (lower) DGBE, i.e. a perfect fourth below our standard uke tuning, it doesn’t really work well: either your strings get thick and wobbly, and even if that isn’t the case, you’ll find that most ukes don’t really SOUND well in such a low register (I’m sure there are exceptions, but by and large, I am sure, you’ll find this to be the case). And as already noted: a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret will sound like a linear tuned uke, if played on the higher four strings, leaving out the two bass strings.

An second question then is, why are ukes tuned gCEA, re-entrant, that is? As already mentioned, it has to do with the fact, that with re-entrant tuning, all four notes played on the four strings of a uke are in the same octave, that means, they are as close as possible. In a way, you could say, that the ukulele re-entrant tuning is the perfect opposite to the mandoline’s fifth tuning, where you stretch the four notes you play on the four (double) strings of the instruments as wide as possible on a four-stringed instrument. Just imagine to play a ukulele voicing of a c-major chord on a piano, and compare that to the mandoline voicing of the same chord played on a piano. You can easily play the uke voicing with one hand, as the notes are as close as possible. In contrast, for the Mandoline voicing you would need both hands, as the four notes are stretched to nearly two octaves. Due to the fifth tuning, you always skip one chord note between two played notes.
So whatever the reason for the historic development for the re-entrant tuning, there is no doubt that is the distinguishing factor which makes the ukulele sound stand out between other stringed instruments (although if it’s NOT the only one using a re-entrant tuning).

I read Dirk Wormhout’s opinion on the different tunings of the ukes, and I think there are some points to it. It is certainly correct, that historically, all four types of ukes were tuned differently. Our today’s common tuning was originally the concert uke tuning, whereas soprano and tenor ukes were tuned differently. Sopranos were tuned a full step up, aDF#B and tenors lower than the concerts: Dirk says it was fBbDG, Lyle Ritz claims it was one more half step lower, EAC#F# - Lyle also tuned his tenor uke in linear tuning, way back in the late 50s when he recorded „Ukulele Jazz“.
Whatever the actual notes for the single strings were, I think it’s save to state, that there was quite a bit of flexibility to a ukulele’s tuning way back in the 20s and 30s, when the different ukulele sizes were invented (I know that baritones came later). As Dirk states referring to Mai Singhi Breen and you can confirm when looking at the original song sheets from that era, it was quite common to change a uke's tuning for as much as a third up or down, or using a capo for the same purpose.
As far as I know, the different tunings had to do with the fact that there was no material which would have allowed the same tuning on the different scales of soprano and tenor ukes. Things look different since the invention of synthetic materials like nylon and, a little later, fluorocarbon.
However, I don’t buy all his arguments about the standardization of the c- or concert tuning for all types of ukuleles. I’m sure there is something right about the point that the rise of ukulele clubs helped the c-tuning to become the standard tuning. Of course, it’s simpler for everyone if all the people play the same chords on their instruments, and they all sound the same, too.
However, I disagree with Dirk about the profitability for publishers: Dirk claims they could sell more books to the uke community with one common tuning on all uke types. I could just as well argue, they could have sold even more books if there still had been (or still were) three different tunings. For people owning a soprano uke and a method book for soprano ukes, might be willing to buy a second book for the tenor tuning after buying a tenor uke (before they realized they always play the same chords, and they just had to learn different names for these chords).
And I vehemently disagree with his arguments against a linear g-tuning on baritone ukes. He argues the body of a baritone uke was too small for a low d-string to resonate properly. On the two baritone ukes I owned (and a handful more I have played) so far, there was no issue at all with the low D tuning. The low D-string sounds and resonates just as full and loud as the other four strings. On the other hand, I had completely contrasting experiences with low g strings on other uke types, and for those body sizes, I’d agree with Dirk. On most soprano and even a lot of concert ukes, the low g-string does indeed doesn’t sound as loud or full as the other three strings. It’s no surprise, I guess, that low g is mostly used only tenor ukes, as the low g-string usually resonates better with the bigger body. Again, there are exceptions here, as the concert Fluke, for example, which basically has a tenor body. Or my concert Dupont (manouche style uke), which also has a tenor-size body, and really booms with a low g, it’s a real cannon. But many concerts sound better with a high g.

Just my two (or maybe seven or eight) cents...

Last edited:
Selwyn's question has prompted a thread that I've really enjoyed reading here! I took his question to be primarily a "reentrant vs. linear" inquiry. As many have correctly pointed out, there is much merit to both approaches. It pretty much comes down to personal preference.

I'm a soprano player. I love my Martin S-0, which seems to sing really sweetly in the reentrant "a D F# B" tuning. In fact, the little owner's "care and feeding" booklet that came with my S-0 specifically says that it was designed with that tuning in mind.

In linear tuning, with the 4th string being the lowest in pitch, there is a nice "familiarity" for those who might have started as guitar players, and later came over to the ukulele. It's the functional equivalent of a little guitar without its 5th and 6th strings. The player can make some beautiful music in that format, for sure!

But I always feel, when I pick up my reentrant-tuned ukulele, with that 4th string tuned an octave higher than my ear might otherwise be expecting, that I'm holding an entirely different instrument from the guitar-- definitely a "cousin" instrument, but in many ways a new ballgame, and not simply a guitar minus its lowest two strings. I like to tell my friends that working with the reentrant-tuned ukulele is akin to learning the violin, for instance, or maybe the clarinet; it's a great instrument in its own rite and needn't always be thought of as an offshoot of the guitar.

To clarify, I'm not asserting that the reentrant tuning is superior to the linear tuning. I've grown to love reentrant tuning and really enjoy exploring its unique possibilities, but I greatly admire those who can make linear tuning work well!

I vehemently disagree with his arguments against a linear g-tuning on baritone ukes. He argues the body of a baritone uke was too small for a low d-string to resonate properly. On the two baritone ukes I owned (and a handful more I have played) so far, there was no issue at all with the low D tuning. The low D-string sounds and resonates just as full and loud as the other four strings. On the other hand, I had completely contrasting experiences with low g strings on other uke types, and for those body sizes, I’d agree with Dirk. On most soprano and even a lot of concert ukes, the low g-string does indeed doesn’t sound as loud or full as the other three strings. It’s no surprise, I guess, that low g is mostly used only tenor ukes, as the low g-string usually resonates better with the bigger body. Again, there are exceptions here, as the concert Fluke, for example, which basically has a tenor body. Or my concert Dupont (manouche style uke), which also has a tenor-size body, and really booms with a low g, it’s a real cannon. But many concerts sound better with a high g. .

Wow, that was a heavily opinionated dose of text.

It’s cool to disagree - it’s crappy that Dirk isn’t even here today to present his deductions back. He did all of his homework and pulled concrete evidence from the scientists of the luthier world. This wasn’t a bunch of wishy washy observational opinions some dude formulated by plinking around on some ukes.

I think your disagreement here stems from not doing all of your homework. Dirk cited master Hawaiian luthier David Kawika Herd a lot, have you read all of his work? These ARE NOT opinions - this is physics and fact. The size of a standard baritone body chamber has a direct and measurable note at which it fully resonates at, and depending on your tuning & string material tensions it will put you either below resonance, at resonance, or above resonance. This isn’t subjective, it is measurable with technology today and not up for argument.

You said “no issues at all” tuning linear G (as you call it “low D”) on a baritone body... and I agree with that to an extent. You see that’s the thing though - no one said it can’t be done. We are talking about 100% OPTIMUM stringing & tuning at or above resonance, on an acoustic stringed instrument - and linear G with a traditional baritone size body isn’t IT mathematically. It can’t be. In every situation re-entrant G tuning will best it.

Music is inherently mathematical, there’s no dodging this conclusion. If you increased the body cavity size to a bigger body uke like say Pono’s Baritone-Nui or even a small 4 string tenor guitar(hence “chicago” tuning) now your linear G tuning would be more fully resonant. That is 100% measurable. Again, no one said you can’t get by with a linear G tuning on a baritone body, it is just not ideal for optimum resonance physics wise. In YOUR OPINION, it sounds fine - but again if you were to measure it with modern technology using proper string materials and compare the two, the re-entrant G tuning will best it every time. I’m betting you are vehemently against the “high D” and fixed on your opinion of linear tuning in general with that setup though, so I guess good luck on your crusades.

Not trying to make cents here, just sense. Peace & rest in peace Dirk - we miss you.

Just to muddy the waters slightly more:

Someone earlier mentioned that the reentrant tuning makes melody notes available on multiple strings. I mostly play the campanella style (John King, Rob McKillop, etc.), which means "ringing bells" and features sustained melody notes ringing out on multiple strings. For this the reentrant tuning is key. Since I have fat fingers, I play bari ukes and string them dGBE. There isn't much campanella literature for bari, but I play the normal uke stuff and it's just 5 frets higher!

I also was a great fan of Dirk! I bought the last dozen of my favorite string sets from his widow and I'm still using them.

Another interesting tuning that Dirk sold was a "doubly reentrant" tuning for baris - it had a high D and a low E - this avoided the non-resonant low D while still giving an overall lower sonority for strums - to be "different" from the regular ukes and fill in the lower end. It was an interesting tuning but since I mostly do fingerpicking solos, I tried it but didn't keep at it.

I would also like to add that I've spent quite a bit of time experimenting to find a setup for low D bari. I've tried many different string sets and find that the D just doesn't resonate well on my Pono and doesn't match the other 3 strings. I've tried fluorocarbon fishing lines, I've gotten a bunch of recommended guitar strings, but never found anything that sounded good. But eventually I got an old Favilla (the Original) baritone and it sounds fairly good with Worths. So, it isn't impossible to have a baritone that sounds good with low D, but I have 4 bari ukes and only the old Favilla really works.

Last edited:
Because it fits with the notes in “My Dog Has Fleas.” It just wouldn’t work any other way: “Dog Fleas My Has,” “Has Dog My Fleas Dog,” etc. You see? ��

Last edited:
Top Bottom