season 457 - i do like to be beside the seaside!

bird's eye view of my ukelele

Reaction score

welcome to season 457 of the ukulele!

it's true - i DO like to be beside the seaside! so please bring me songs and instrumentals about, or that mention, the shore - that magical place where land and sea meet.

if you can, i'd love to see seaside-y pics and video footage, in your vids - places you've been, or pics and vids off the net, or your own seaside-y art.

prizes will be a pevensey bay bear keyring - there are three up for grabs. (you can see them right at the end of the intro vid.)

please only post new vids, recorded for this season.

no song limit.

season starts midnight saturday night, 14th november, and runs for 8 days, til midnight sunday night, 22nd november, all times hawaii time.

have fun!

sea you soon :)

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Do songs that mention a seaside town qualify? Thanks for the early post, I lose the will after 9 o’clock :)

Gosh, you're early, Lynda! I was brought up beside the seaside, beside the sea ... so I am eminently qualified to participate. Ah, yes, I can smell the seaweed already ...

What about songs from bands with a seasidey name?

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i just spent ages typing replies on my phone and when i posted it was all garbled and edited down to a couple of lines :mad: so here i am *and breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeethe!* on the jolly old laptop. oh wait it's just as bad on the laptop - WOT IS GOING ON???

mebbe having problems quoting???

in answer to graham...

yes i think a seaside town mention should be enough to suggest sufficient seaside-y-ness! and i'm quite the night owl but sometimes even i have to go to bed before a theme goes up! so i like to post nice and early, plus it gives me a chance to answer any questions, on saturday evening...

Last edited:
in answer to val...

indeed, let the season transport us both, to eastbourne, pevensey bay, and brighton, through the medium of song :music:

in answer to ryan...

i'd really like the song itself to have at least some reference to, or mention of, the seaside, but if the band's name is also seaside-y that would be a wonderful bonus!

I have a feeling that someone is going to beat me to the song I want to play, but fair warning, I am going to play it anyway :)
After missing a couple of seasons because of a busy schedule, it is nice to know exactly what to do.

From Soho down to Brighton I must have played them all, a simple take on a Who classic from 1969. This has been on my to try list forever, thanks for the nudge to work out an arrangement Linda.

Good theme Lynda! I took the video today. I live 5 minutes away from Botany Bay in the south of Sydney. This beach is called Doll's Point. Nothing flash as far as Australian beaches go. Just a bay beach not an ocean surf beach. But it's a pleasant place to spend some time. The song is called " Dead Sea" by The Lumineers. Based around the analogy of being someone's Dead Sea....always keeping them afloat. Who said salt is bad for you?:) - Baritone uke with some added acoustic guitar.

Last edited:
Wreckless Eric's greatest hit.

Is she lying on a tropical beach somewhere...?

Last edited:
Local band The Boo Radleys done this song about the seaside town where i'm lucky enough to live ... the beach picture is taken at the bottom of my road.
And just in case anyone is wondering, it's the New Brighton in England, where the Mersey meets the Irish Sea, and not one of the several other New Brightons scattered across the world

Wow we are off to an amazing start already, and we are only a couple of hours in! My first try at managing a playlist on my phone ... Mmmmmmm I think I can either add you half a dozen times or miss you completely :cool: please PM if you find you've been accidentally left off! I am up to date as far as Wim... back soon, keep 'em coming!!! :rock:

Hello, Lynda! Spending, as I did, my formative years in a South Coast seaside resort, affectionately nicknamed "Sunny Seaweed on Sea", I bring years of experience to your splendid theme for the week. I have already done "I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside" (a lovely song!) ... and, if you haven't heard Basil Rathbone's (Sherlock Holmes') wonderfully unexpected version thereof, then it is well worth a listen. Anyway, I plumped for this song, which was, apparently, used in a BBC TV series about a young au pair's experiences in Hove (actually!*) As this is just up the coast from where I was brung up, it seemed like the ideal choice. The lyrics are absolutely APPALLING, and, try as I might, I was unable to completely drown them out with seagull and lapping wave sound effects.

*You have to be English to understand "Hove, actually!"

Nice song released in 1953recorded by many artists.The photo is one of my holiday snaps somewhere in the Baltic region

This is my group of about 30, The CC Strummers led by Cali Rose, doing "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys. I recorded it on my iPad Pro with forScore during one of our rehearsals last year. I'm playing bass uke and doing my best to sing along. Click the link to play.

[video]http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Surfin' U.S.A.mp3[/video]

Surfin' USA cover 600.jpeg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Top Bottom