season 457 - i do like to be beside the seaside!

The one and only hit for First Class, from 1974. And a little-known fact - their recording had an instrumental break, played on a french horn, which was borrowed from Sibelius's 5th Symphony. The estate of Jean Sibelius sued, and they got half the proceeds from the song. I left that bit out, to be on the safe side.

Originally a French song fitted with English Lyrics.A big hit for Bobby Darin.Sorry about the background.

To RAB11 " Stone Cold Banger."

I stuck with it... Very cool. Thanks!

-Wiggy

Last edited:
WOW! the seaside-y fabulousness continues! more great vids from you all, thank you so much for another day's wonderful vewing and listening! :rock:

and please do just ignore me throwing vids of my own onto the season, it's new uke syndrome, i CANNOT leave it alone!!! here's another one, don't blame me, blame the uke!

Maggie and I lost our dear friend Bernie Martin 25 years ago to cancer. Bernie was a wonderful singer, song writer, multi-instrumentalist, story teller, poet, playwright, puppeteer, actor, clown, musicologist. . .
One Last Dance is one of my favourite Bernie Martin songs.

You'll have to wait till the second verse to see how this song fits the theme.

bernie martin.jpg Bernie Martin

piper's hUt.jpgThe Piper's Hut - Bernie put this group together and we met once a week for about 4 or 5 months before our first show, which included music, poetry and story-telling. L->R Bernie Martin, Ted Staunton, Zeke Mazurek, Maggie Yates & me.

Here's some QOTSA quick while I put another video together.

FYI in case folks weren't aware, the wrap for season 456 is now up.

...well that didn't take long.

..its just like the ocean under the moon

(Stock video for illustrative purposes)

It occurred to me that, following last week's theme, I could add another song from Flood, Birdhouse In Your Soul. But, what has this got to do with the seaside?

I'm glad you asked! In the second verse, the nightlight narrator explains how terrible they'd be at being a lighthouse on rocky shores. I hope that's good enough :).

Apparently I'll take any opportunity to add a glockenspiel. Also I've had to simplify it a little bit, because it has far too many chords. I've had loads of fun trying to work it out though and I'm going to keep working on it and maybe find more excuses to post it :). It can be some kind of benchmark for my progress, perhaps!

“Walked out this morning
Don't believe what I saw
A hundred billion bottles
Washed up on the shore”

Just me and my newish baritone uke, though I doubled up on the vocals to make myself heard, and deviated now and then to harmonise. The video and photos I took this morning at Littlestone and Greatstone beaches - just a few minutes away in the car from where I live in the south east corner of England. The tide was unfortunately way out (most of what you see are the mudflats exposed at low tide), but the sun was peeking through the clouds and made for a lovely seaward view. There were a couple of official looking people in high-vis jackets walking up and down the beach - not sure what they were doing, but it may be related to a recent spate of illegal immigrants (originally fleeing from some of the troubled countries in North Africa, the Middle East and beyond) risking their lives by crossing the English Channel from France in small vessels and landing on the beaches up and down the Kent coastline.

Thanks again for hosting this week, Lynda! :)

Last edited:
I thought at one point that I was going to miss a second successive week as things have been difficult at home this past week or so due to health issues. My daughter is self isolating as a colleague had tested positive for corona virus and my wife's not been so well and has had a spell in hospital. She's home now but we're not really sure what caused her problems. She had a nasty fall in the spring and hadn't really recovered.

Enough whingeing.

This song has its origins in a broadside in the 1670s and versions have been found throughout the British Isles and in North America. It's generally thought of as a Yorkshire song. The places mentioned in the song, Robin Hood's Bay and Stow Brow are on the Yorkshire coast a few miles south of Whitby. Robin Hood's Bay is a very attractive village at the foot of a steep hill. The pictures in the video are actually of Saltburn which is also on the Yorkshire coast just south of the River Tees (so north of Robin Hood's Bay). It's about 20 minutes drive from where I live so we go there pretty regularly.

wow! another fantastic day's vids, songs, and seaside-y visuals! it really is like being on holiday! what a treat! keep 'em coming!!! i really feel like people are pulling out all the stops, with the most amazing songs and performances, and heading out in all weathers for seaside-y pics and footage. i have no doubt everyone is super inspired by the thrilling chance to win one of the little fuzzy keyrings!!! ;) :rock:

i dunno what my excuse is, though. i can't keep blaming it on the new uke! it must just be the super theme! :cool: 'cos here is yet another host song and vid!

everyone : ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :stop:

This is a song by Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians. The visuals are from vacations in my home state of Maine.

Most of you know I live on the south coast of England, overlooking the Solent. For the last couple of years I've lived five minutes away from Portsdown Hill, which offers my favourite views of the Solent and Portsmouth. This is the first time this week I've had the car and spare time so I went and did a video and obviously it's grey and overcast. But hopefully people get the gist.

Was a bit nervous of whether the sound would come through but really pleased with this. Traffic on the main road opposite sort of sounds like waves too.

Here's a tune from the late Ron Hynes, The Man Of A Thousand Songs, The Saint John's Waltz.

Saint John's is a beautiful city on the east coast of Newfoundland and the home of my lovely grand-daughter Lila. I first hitch-hiked to St. John's in 1967 and have been back several times since.

Here's a statue of Ron Hynes on Water Street in St. John's.
Ron Hines Statue.jpg

Cape Spear from Signal Hill..jpg
This is a photo of the entrance to St. John's harbour taken by Maggie from Signal Hill in St. John's. In the distance you can see Cape Spear, the most easterly point of land in North America.

St. John's Harbour from signal hill.jpg
Across the harbour from Signal Hill is Amherst Rock, mentioned in the second line of the song.

Last edited:
Here's a tune from the late Ron Hines, The Man Of A Thousand Songs, The Saint John's Waltz.

Saint John's is a beautiful city on the east coast of Newfoundland and the home of my lovely grand-daughter Lila. I first hitch-hiked to St. John's in 1967 and have been back several times since.

View attachment 130762
This is a photo of the entrance to St. John's harbour taken by Maggie from Signal Hill in St. John's. In the distance you can see Cape Spear, the most easterly point of land in North America.

View attachment 130763
Across the harbour from Signal Hill is Amherst Rock, mentioned in the second line of the song.

I had a great couple of weeks driving around Newfoundland in 1991, with overnight trips to southern Labrador and St. Pierre. At the time, it was really hard to get info on Newfoundland, though it's only 500 miles from here. I could find a road map of Uganda in the local Barnes & Noble, but only 10 pages in a Fodor's guide about Newfoundland. I have an 8" x 12" of this photo I took on Signal Hill in my cubicle at work (where I haven't been since March):

Signal Hill - St. John's Newfoundland.jpg

Newfoundland is the only Canadian province we did not get to in 1995 - we did not go to the territories either

this morning - fishing (well .. feeding the fish) in the river that flows into the lake that flows into the sea near where i live
IMG20201121070043.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom