season 457 - i do like to be beside the seaside!

I had a great couple of weeks driving around Newfoundland in 1991, with overnight trips to southern Labrador and St. Pierre. At the time, it was really hard to get info on Newfoundland, though it's only 500 miles from here. I could find a road map of Uganda in the local Barnes & Noble, but only 10 pages in a Fodor's guide about Newfoundland. I have an 8" x 12" of this photo I took on Signal Hill in my cubicle at work (where I haven't been since March):

View attachment 130770

Maggie and I have taken about a month to drive from Port Hope to St. John's and back, visiting many places along the way. We always take the ferry to Port Aux Basques and drive across the province.

What Does The Deep Sea Say? Tim O'Brien, Two Journeys, 2001

"Bill and Charlie Monroe recorded this one in the 1930s. I suspect it came from the later 1800s. Thanks to the countless unknown and unnamed writers of the great body of traditional music." -Tim O'Brien

Newfoundland is the only Canadian province we did not get to in 1995 - we did not go to the territories either

this morning - fishing (well .. feeding the fish) in the river that flows into the lake that flows into the sea near where i live
View attachment 130771

We had a seasonally warm day today, but not warm enough for shorts and sandals.

Well Pa, I'm a Canuck and there's one province that you've been to that I've not set foot in (although I've seen it from the air). That is Saskatchewan.
Both of my sons have toured across Canada playing music in every province and Darcy has played in the Yukon as well.

On my first trip to Newfoundland, in 1967, Newfoundlanders would introduce me to their friends with, "This is Jim. He's from Canada." Newfoundland joined confederation in 1949, but some hadn't quite accepted it. I even heard, "I'd like to go to Canada; I've never been overseas."

Last edited:
We had a seasonally warm day today, but not warm enough for shorts and sandals.

Well Pa, I'm a Canuck and there's one province that you've been to that I've not set foot in (although I've seen it from the air). That is Saskatchewan.
Both of my sons have toured across Canada playing music in every province and Darcy has played in the Yukon as well.

On my first trip to Newfoundland, in 1967, Newfoundlanders would introduce me to their friends with, "This is Jim. He's from Canada." Newfoundland joined confederation in 1949, but some hadn't quite accepted it. I even heard, "I'd like to go to Canada; I've never been overseas."

pretty sure it was Saskatchewan where we got rained on by the same storm 3 times - we drove through it - stopped to get fuel where it caught us and rained on us again - then we caught up to it and drove through it again - the prairies are flat and you can see the weather for miles and miles - Canada is a beautiful country!

This is one of my favorite songs pertaining to the sea, Folding Chair by Regina Spektor. Cover performed by Kimi on lead vocals and concert ukulele and Kevin Griffin on harmony, electric baritone, and electric tenor ukulele. Stock footage from Beachfront Productions on Archive.org. Thanks Kev for the collaboration.

wow! another fantastic day's vids, songs, and seaside-y visuals! it really is like being on holiday! what a treat! keep 'em coming!!! i really feel like people are pulling out all the stops, with the most amazing songs and performances, and heading out in all weathers for seaside-y pics and footage. i have no doubt everyone is super inspired by the thrilling chance to win one of the little fuzzy keyrings!!! ;) :rock:

i dunno what my excuse is, though. i can't keep blaming it on the new uke! it must just be the super theme! :cool: 'cos here is yet another host song and vid!

everyone : ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :stop:

This reminds me so much of the West Beach in Port Hope, Ontario.
West Beach stones.jpg

This reminds me so much of the West Beach in Port Hope, Ontario.
View attachment 130772
oh wow what a gorgeous picture! and yes you're right, that could be pevensey! :rock:

another fabulous day's songs and vids, everyone! thank you all so much for the work you're putting in, finding and writing perfect songs, bringing them so wonderfully, and gathering together the most amazing visuals to accompany them! i figured this would be a super week, and that i'd enjoy all the seaside-y songs and vids, but you're all way exceeding my expectations! what a fantastic week!

This song is by the late '80s Boston band (and early 90's San Francisco band) Ed's Redeeming Qualities. They were the first band I ever heard with a ukulele player that played something other than Hawaiian music or Tin Pan Alley songs. One of the members was later in The Breeders.

Thanks for hosting Lynda, I hope all is well! Chelle and I put this one together Friday, but i was having problems accessing the site for a while and then when I could I wasn't able to upload video :) Chelle is playing some lovely clarinet lines and sing harmonies on here. Cheers ~

Been busy working on a translation this week, but I took the opportunity of a lovely warm (but windy) day to film the video for this song that I had written especially for this Season.

Hope you like:

Am I still listed on the black? Test post. Thanks for sharing Under the Boardwalk!

Oh good. It seems that my mysterious "you've been blacklisted" snafu has resolved itself. Second time this has happened. Very odd.

Shore... songs.... Shore-ly...The was a diner down by the shore... and there worked a young lady who sold Shoefly Pie and Apple Pandowdy.... From 1946!

It's Saturday night. I can be a little loose with the theme...

Hello yet again, Lynda! I wasn't going to do any more, but then I found this amazingly daft song by Tally Hall, a band I've never heard of, but if this is an example of their work, I must find out more. The vocal went slightly wobbly at the end, but I sprained the ring finger on my fretting hand the other day and all those barre chords were killing it, so I couldn't re-record. Anyway, herewith ....

Here is my song for this week. I am surprised that nobody else did it.

I wanted to record it at the shoreline, but it was too windy. Anyway, I filmed a few waves while I was there. And found a few pebbles of amber :).

Posted in my old Youtube account and didn't take the time to make a thumbnail, it all went a bit fast.

WOW! another great day of fantastic videos and wonderful songs! i've said it before and i'll say it again - what a brill season!!! more really amazing vid footage, and so many super songs! thank you all so much!!!

i'm afraid to say i have yet another host video! my excuse today is i had to be on hold FOR 40 MINUTES waiting for someone to pick up the phone :mad: and as everyone knows, that is at least 35 minutes longer than it takes to write one of my homemade songs :uhoh: and obviously i was plinking on the ridiculously addictive new bari while i was waiting!

only one more day left of the season :( i'll be sorry to see it end, i'm having such a great time! :rock:

Last edited:
Hi Lynda!!

What a time ... I couldn’t miss this. No seaside video, unfortunately, but a sad seaside song ...

16 months ago I started trying out the clarinet. This is the first proper outing on a Season and I crave pardon and indulgence. But I thought that as we have had some great versions of Stranger on The Shore it was time to bring Strangler On the Floor as Slacker Bilk used to refer to it and himself. There is a six string bari guilele and a djembe in the mix as well. Ear plugs reccomended.

Dry and sunny today, so we went to Seaham. I wanted to do a couple of very short ones, but the wind made things difficult. I ended up with a trio of short shanties.

And a photo just before the sun started to set:
IMG_20201122_154433.jpg

In Seaham, filmed by my husband. He did a great job adding some rocking and swaying motions, just to make sure we feel like the drunken sailor.

Top Bottom