season 457 - i do like to be beside the seaside!

I think if you look up "Yacht Rock" in the dictionary there is a picture of this song. Hopefully our whale up on the wall captures enough of the seaside vibe for you BEV. Thanks for hosting.

"Hove, actually!"
:worship:

This is my group of about 30, The CC Strummers led by Cali Rose, doing "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys. I recorded it on my iPad Pro with forScore during one of our rehearsals last year. I'm playing bass uke and doing my best to sing along.
fantastic bass! if you are at all able this week to make some kind of vid, with you bringing your bass uke magic for that song, and mebbe singing along too, i would love that, i totally support solo bass uke as a seasons instrument!

well what can i say about today's entries, other than wow! and :rock: ! fantastic seaside-y stuff, please keep 'em coming!

if you are at all able this week to make some kind of vid, with you bringing your bass uke magic for that song, and mebbe singing along too, i would love that, i totally support solo bass uke as a seasons instrument!

Thank you very much Lynda. I'm not a soloist, especially on bass since I have to concentrate most times on playing. I did put together a video that includes me playing bass and singing (which I did in two separate sessions) along with other members of my uke group backing up the leader of our group, Cali Rose doing one of her songs. She just put it up on YouTube, if you'd like to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUmu6WauwrU&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:
I miss the seaside. I only live 10 miles away from the sea but it might as well be 1000 at the moment.

I decided to have a go at this one because it was UK number 1 on the day I was born. I've never actually been to the Mull of Kintyre - the video clips of the sea are from high tide on a windy day in St Andrews last November, which is entirely the wrong coast of Scotland, but pretty nevertheless.

I should probably have sung it a bit louder, but this was already about take 94 so I decided this'll do! In hindsight, trying to do a Paul McCartney song with a key change in it might not have been a good idea...

Thank you very much Lynda. I'm not a soloist, especially on bass since I have to concentrate most times on playing. I did put together a video that includes me playing bass and singing (which I did in two separate sessions) along with other members of my uke group backing up the leader of our group, Cali Rose doing one of her songs. She just put it up on YouTube, if you'd like to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUmu6WauwrU&feature=emb_logo
that was great, thanks! super to see as well as hear you playing bass uke there - you're so good!

more great seaside-y songs and vids today, thank you all so much! :rock:

had some stuff i wanted to get done today, i achieved none of it, deciding instead to plink a bit and do a little host vid for the season... chores vs uke = no contest!

Last edited:
Great theme Lynda - thanks for hosting! :)
Here is an original song for the season. I live a short drive from the sea in the south east corner of England and had hoped to use some of my own video footage for this one, but the weather and (lack of) daylight conspired against me so I had to download some free video clips.

Last edited:
"Seaside Rendezvous" (1975) by Freddie Mercury from Queen's album "A Night at the Opera". Some multitracking madness with video footage from the shores of southern Finland.

oh gosh, more fantastic vids today! :rock: thank you all so much for another wonderful day's viewing and listening!

joko is having problems posting on the forum, so i'm posting a vid for the season, for him...

i hope your posting difficulties get resolved, joko, but if they continue, i will gladly post any other vids you do this week, here on the thread. thank you so much for persevering and taking part this week, despite the posting challenges you are experiencing!

ok, as if it wasn't hard enough to get any chores done, when there is plinking to tempt one away, i just got a new uke, so i think we can safely say the chores can forget it, it ain't gonna happen!!! here is another little host vid for the season, with the uke, a caramel cb500 bari, i fell in love with the one del got recently, when i saw it in a vid of his! :music:

Cheers for hosting this one Birdy. Living in a coastal town and having a new uke to break in It would be rude not to offer up an entry..........Stranger On The Shore

Crew hired, passengers boarded and loaded with supplies she leaves the shores of Southampton to meet the sea on her maiden voyage ........

Hello again, Lynda! I can't remember now how I came across this song, which I discovered the other day when I was searching for the unusual. Like a lot of Music Hall songs, the original version - which was performed by Mark Sheridan in the early 1900s - goes on a bit and the lyrics are rather dated. I found a later version by Stanley Holloway, though, which captures the essence of the original. I found the accompanying film, from 1894, under the Creative Commons banner and adapted it to fit.

Here's another from me. The first line mentioned the sea but the song as a whole has a real oceanic feel to it because ofittke reverby touches throughout. I've tried to replicate that here.

It's also a special one for me as I played this song the first time I took my little Dolphin to an open mic night.

Top Bottom