Where did all the Bari's go?

Kduranimal

Reaction score
Youngest child happily plays her Enya concert carbon fiber uke constantly, and has recently expressed interest in acquiring a baritone. Oldest child plays a lovely solid walnut Kala slot head. Looking for another solid instrument for a young player. Suddenly, finding one is difficult! Ukulele Site had nothing in my price range. What do you recommend for $250 or less in baritones (and why can't I really find that many out there?) Is Teton a good option?

Find a used one. A friend just purchased a used Favilla baritone on Ebay for $202.50. Favillas were considered a poor man's Martin back in the day. I had both and sold the Martin to keep the Favilla. I'd check out Mim's to see what she has for baritones in that price range.

Seems Kala has discontinued their Spruce top and cedar top baritones. Not sure why.
Generally, baritones are the least popular Ukulele size.

Mike at Uke Republic sells the Teton baritone. You might ask him what he thinks of them. The sound sample he made of a spruce top Teton baritone sounds pretty good, especially considering they’re only about $210.

Last edited:
What are you looking for in the Baritone? There are a number of other companies selling Baritones, such as Ohana, lots of Kala (I'm sure the discontinued models are around), Flight has a couple of laminates, and then Kmise has a pretty good selection of Baritones, too.

Or if someone made it worth my while, I have a cedar topped kala that I haven't touched in almost two years. There's nothing wrong with it; it is just that my tastes have moved onward and upward.

Kala has discontinued a bunch of Baritones, and what is left are mostly out of stock. I got one of the last Kala solid Mahogany Bari's. I've heard good things about the Cordoba 23B, but last I checked those are out of stock too. Oscar Schmidt has a couple decent ones, if you can find one. Seems like recently there must have been a surge in interest in Baritones. The moderately priced ones are hard to find.

Youngest child happily plays her Enya concert carbon fiber uke constantly, and has recently expressed interest in acquiring a baritone. Oldest child plays a lovely solid walnut Kala slot head. Looking for another solid instrument for a young player. Suddenly, finding one is difficult! Ukulele Site had nothing in my price range. What do you recommend for $250 or less in baritones (and why can't I really find that many out there?) Is Teton a good option?

John Gonzalez del Solar at UkeFan has several low-priced baritones. His site says they inspect and setup their 'ukuleles before shipping.
https://www.uke-fan.com/baritone-ukes/

Lost my post when editing.

Mainland has some options, but they are just out of your price range. Perhaps look at the Makala brand for something inexpensive.

Last edited:
HERE's a web page chock full of bari's -- most of them in your price range. Free shipping & set-up.

Don't knock the bari, folks. Playing one helped pay for my last 2 years of college. The old red-head (Arthur Godfrey) was a millionaire who played a bari on radio & TV & in the movies.

I’ve got a Cordoba 24B, solid cedar top bari that I’d part with... save you some money, too.

As a representative of a reliable company that tries to reduce competition between different agents, we are not allowed to openly advertise below a certain price. Being a retired school teacher many times has an attitude of "How may I help?" being of a higher priority than "How much profit can I make?" Conversations regarding price cannot be discussed on an open forum. It will involve 1 to 1 communication. Bill Thompson thecraftedcow@comcast.net

I'm looking hard at that Teton at Uke Republic. I will give Mike a call, as I really can't seem to find much out about the Teton Bari. I've purchased a couple of ukuleles from the Ukulele Site and have been very pleased by the set up, so that's where I looked first for this Bari I'm hunting (and would have likely gone for another Kala, if they hadn't discontinued them, as they've worked out very well ). I'm looking for something with a different sound than the solid mahogany Bari that my older teen has. Bari for the lower range and a step toward guitar. Thinking spruce top would fit the bill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom