Horse HUK-23 Concert - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
One thing you mentioned that really hits my OCD is the crooked tuners. I will say that I've been seeing multiple newish builders popping up with beautiful instruments, but the thing that kills them for me is the poor alignment of the tuners. It immediately makes me question what else may have been overlooked on the build. Obviously this one had other issues as well, but that's just something I've been noticing a lot lately, even on instruments priced at $500+.

I quite agree - not something that affects how they work, but honestly - so easy to do properly if you try..

So not tempted by this week's review!

Well, I'm happy to see that it is not a howler, especially since you bought it straight from Amazon, and you weren't sent a 'good' one to review. Now that Christmas is coming up, people might be browsing for a beginner's instrument to gift to a child or so. During lockdown many folks wanted to learn a new instrument and that too, may add to the growing popularity. Glad that you point out the alternatives at this price point as well.

I guess that's what reviews are good for - certainly don't want people thinking a half decent uke cannot be had for this price (it can) - it's just that I don't think this is the one to choose. Happy to recommend alternatives - and I guess this wouldn't have got the review it got if there were NO alternatives!

I second this. Even though I got it a few years ago, it still bugs me, I found out that even a semi expensive custom uke can have issues. There's simply no excuse for bad intonation, even with a cheaper instrument!

... Happy to recommend alternatives - and I guess this wouldn't have got the review it got if there were NO alternatives!
There are scads of alternatives out there. For just a few dollars more, I heartily recommend a Kanile'a K1-T. (Well... a bit more than "a few dollars" but ... why quibble?)

Last edited:
One thing you mentioned that really hits my OCD is the crooked tuners. I will say that I've been seeing multiple newish builders popping up with beautiful instruments, but the thing that kills them for me is the poor alignment of the tuners. It immediately makes me question what else may have been overlooked on the build. Obviously this one had other issues as well, but that's just something I've been noticing a lot lately, even on instruments priced at $500+.

tuner wonk is commonplace... and unfortunately is the norm for all but the very best makers. when I buy a uke I just hope to get one isn't too bad, realizing that it more than likely won't be perfect. sad but true

I've hardly EVER seen it. Occasionally , but I am talking single digits out of hundreds of reviews.

I had the chance to review this one and the mahogany versions. I left feeling that the mahogany version was better in a number of ways (both laminate) with some better features and overall craftsmanship.

The mother company is the same one that makes Kmise and Aklot (and I’ve been told this by the company).

Still, it’s a decent beginner ukulele. I’ll have to look at my tuners again.

I’m keeping all of these entry level Amazon ukuleles around for an eventual overall comparison. I’m waiting to get the Donner in the mix as well (still need to buy one and I’m putting that off).

Top Bottom