Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fingerstyle "workout" suggestions?

Default Fingerstyle "workout" suggestions?

Hi All, I am relatively new to fingerstyle playing and really enjoying it. What are some things I can do to practice moving up and down the fretboard to build up some muscle memory? Any books or videos that might help with this?

Check out the spider practice with Craig Chee and Sara Maisel on utube or their site. They have several they suggest.
    Pono AS Soprano, Kaloha Long Neck Soprano
    Pono RC (C) PC Concert, Kala KA-ACP-CTG Concert (Low G), Sawchyn Concert, Kala Elite IMHG-C, Romero Creations ST Concert, Blackbird Clara
    Kala K-BE Baritone. Recording King Resonator, Stuart Wailing Resonator
    Godin Multiuke Tenor,
    Goodtime Concert Ukulele Banjo
    Outdoor Carbon Tenor
    Kona Walking Bass

Life is good, but better with a uke.

The first thing I bought after my ukulele was the Mel Bay book of ukulele scales. It listed all the scales and their modes for the re-entrant tunings. Those will keep your fingers busy for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by StumptownUke View Post
    Hi All, I am relatively new to fingerstyle playing and really enjoying it. What are some things I can do to practice moving up and down the fretboard to build up some muscle memory? Any books or videos that might help with this?
    Try

https://worldofukes.co.uk/digital-so...plore-the-neck
    Ukes:

Tinguitar Spruce top / English Walnut body Tenor with MiSi pickup 2020 (high-G)
    Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor 2018 (low-G)
    Motu in Cherry Plywood 2019
    Tinguitar English Plane top / Khaya solid body electro Baritone / Guitar 19.75" scale hybrid (EADG tuning) (on order) ... that's a mouthful!

Perhaps you might find some help in Ukulele Aerobics by Chad Johnson, just a suggestion for investigation.

By definition fingerstyle is plucking the strings with your fingers instead of using a flat pick. So, you need to look into right hand techniques. Left hand techniques won't necessarily help you with fingerstyle. You can research banjo roll exercises for ukulele and Travis picking exercises for Ukulele. That should get you started without wasting your time on other things.

Check out Elisabeth Pfeiffer's really good Fingerstyle Etudes book. It is bilingual (English and German), Paul Mansell reviewed it here.
    ( o ) == ::

Interesting suggestion, hadnt thought of it that way but it makes sense. Thanks Mike!

1. Download this free bundle of scales: https://liveukulele.com/scales/.

2. Sequence them: https://liveukulele.com/lessons/sequencing-scales/.

3. Report back in five years.

Force yourself to use different fingerpicking styles (thumb only, index only, thumb/index alternating, PIMA, etc...) to build your right hand facility while you're at it.

Anything you play, no matter who put it together, is going to be useful to improving your skill as long as you're practicing it well. Most people just need permission to go forth and create their own material. What is hard for you to play? Write some exercises around whatever your difficulties are.

Pretty much any classical guitar tutorial will have you doing warmup exercises before even teaching you how to fret a note; so just look into that.

The warmup that I do (which is the most basic) is to place the fingers on the first 4 frets on string 1, play the 5 notes (open counts as 1), then move the fingers to string 2, play the 5 notes, and so on; once at string 4, reverse and go back to string 1. The key to is to play at constant tempo and with each note ringing clean. Repeat the up/down on the string with faster tempo as your fingers are warming up.

Thread Information