Made In Hawaii list

DavidGuitar95010

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Has anyone put together a list of ukulele makers that actually build in Hawaii? I searched but couldn’t find anything. I would prefer supporting American workers, instead of some maker who designs in Hawaii but has the work done offshore by cheap labor. (Not criticizing that model, but I want to send my dollars elsewhere. Yes, I know about my Islander and Pono ukuleles. I’m asking for future purchases.)

I can’t afford a custom built masterpiece from a luthier working in a small garage, but could afford the base level Made In Hawaii models from the Ks. I believe Mele falls in this category (mostly). Who else?

Last edited:
I assume you specifically mean manufacturers that both produce the parts and assemble their instruments in Hawaii. There are a number of companies that have the parts made overseas and only assemble their ukes in Hawaii, like Koa Kalane.

Aside from the four obvious K brands - Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha and Ko'olau - I'm like 95% sure that brands such as Ana'Ole, 'I'iwi, Imua and Mele manufacture their ukes in Hawaii. Particularly, I would suggest you look at Ana'Ole. When it comes to Hawaiian-made ukes, they are very affordable and produce some wonderful instruments. The finish on their ukes isn't the best and they look very plain but the sound is excellent, on par with at least some of the K brands. I've been very intrigued by their concert models but they have a very narrow nut width. If you're looking for a tenor then that won't be an issue.

I can understand the appeal of a true Hawaiian ukulele. After doing a lot of research, I bought a KoAloha soprano from HMS. It was made from wood grown in Hawaii by a Hawaiian company and sold by a Hawaiian store.

I assume you specifically mean manufacturers that both produce the parts and assemble their instruments in Hawaii. There are a number of companies that have the parts made overseas and only assemble their ukes in Hawaii, like Koa Kalane.

Aside from the four obvious K brands - Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha and Ko'olau - I'm like 95% sure that brands such as Ana'Ole, 'I'iwi, Imua and Mele manufacture their ukes in Hawaii. Particularly, I would suggest you look at Ana'Ole. When it comes to Hawaiian-made ukes, they are very affordable and produce some wonderful instruments. The finish on their ukes isn't the best and they look very plain but the sound is excellent, on par with at least some of the K brands. I've been very intrigued by their concert models but they have a very narrow nut width. If you're looking for a tenor then that won't be an issue.

I doubt that Koa Kalane is assembled in Hawaii. They appear to me to be shipped from China to Hawaii and then just reshipped from Hawaii.

The Mele ukuleles that I have seen say "made in the Philippines" on the sticker. I don't know what percentage of their products are actually made in Hawaii.

Some brands that are partially made in Asia and assembled in Hawaii are Keli'i, GCEA, and Mailelei. These brands have enough USA content to be able to legally claim "Made in the USA".

Does the builder have to be in Hawaii? What about the other forty-nine states?

I'm not planning to purchase from Hawaii exclusively (not unless Martin and a few others move to the islands). Just want to know when I'm buying something that I think is from Hawaii is actually from there.

Last edited:

I will check out Ana'Ole. Yes, tenor is my preferred size.

That 808 builders list is very old and has not been updated. You may want to check out the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii for information. I know there are quite a few local Hawaiian builders, like myself, that do not advertise much. We have a Kauai builders group that meets regularly, although some of the members are from the other islands.
Brad

That 808 builders list is very old and has not been updated. You may want to check out the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii for information. I know there are quite a few local Hawaiian builders, like myself, that do not advertise much. We have a Kauai builders group that meets regularly, although some of the members are from the other islands.
Brad

Thank you sir. I listened to a couple of sound clips, and your ukuleles sound wonderful.

You are very welcome, there are a number of very talented luthiers around the islands and some time spent seeking them out can be rewarding. And thank you for your kind comments.
Brad

Look up Vento in Hilo. He builds beautiful instruments. I purchased a tenor on a trip to Hawaii. The ukulele is one of my favorites and always draws comments.

Top Bottom