Adding Extra Frets Question

rafter

Reaction score
I have a Rebel soprano with a fretboard that extends down to the sound hole, but the frets stop at the body. There’s a little over an inch of blank, unfretted fretboard there. It looks kind of like a KoAloha soprano or one of Liam Kirby’s sopranos (though not quite as long). The uke has 12 frets.

Because I’m learning some songs that go as high as the 14th or 15th fret, I often wish my soprano had two or three more frets. There’s enough space on the fretboard for 14 frets. Possibly even 15.

How difficult would it be to have 2 or 3 frets installed? I know guitars/ukes can get refretted, but I assume that’s very different because the slots are already there. Would putting in new frets where there weren’t any be difficult/costly enough that it’s better just to get a new uke? Or is this something a tech/luthier could do without too much difficulty?

I recall reading here on UU, Sam Muir had a Wunderkammer soprano with 12 frets and, wanting more frets, commissioned another soprano with 15. Since there was space for more frets on that first soprano, I assumed just adding more frets was too difficult.

I’m pretty much a purist and so think that twelve is the correct number of frets for a Soprano. The string is short enough at the twelfth already and IMHO typically struggles to drive the soundboard, having more frets usually asks too much of the instrument. In the case of Wunderkammer those Ukes are right up there with the very best of what’s available and the fretboard extension is, I believe, more styling than anything else. Having said that I’ve heard of people pushing the string down onto such extensions and getting it to sound - that’s something for you to explore .

You could get frets added by a Luthier but it will cost more than it’s worth, dead money and possibly a devalued instrument. Frets have to be carefully positioned relative to the existing frets and you’d want them to match the other frets on your instrument too. The Rebel is an expensive instrument and it would be a shame to damage it, but why not explore the technique I suggested instead?

Last edited:
Thanks. I think by fretboard extension, you’re referring to the extra fretboard space. If so, then yes, with songs that go past the 12th, I just push down on the fretboard extension. I can find the note, but the sound is unsatisfactory (though harmonics are fine).

At the risk of offending purists like yourself, I should add: I’ve strung this Rebel up with a low G, inspired by Pepe Romero’s soprano models. I have other sopranos with 15 or even 17 frets (a custom and a Martin), but I prefer to keep those re-entrant. For me, this particular Rebel sounds amazing, both further up the neck and with a low G. I’m confident that, were it made with two or three more frets, I’d have been pleased with the sound from the high notes, which makes me wish I could add more frets.

I realize both the positioning of the fret and matching the fret wire (I don’t know how difficult that would be) would be challenges. I don’t even know how difficult it would be to cut out the slots on a finished fretboard. It does sound like it could be cost prohibitive. But I posted the question, in case this kind of thing wasn’t too uncommon or unheard of. Until I tried to research it, I didn’t know refretting was a thing.

In my opinion, if that's what you want, then I think it would be quite an easy job for an experienced luthier or even an amateur like me(if it were mine I would certainly attempt it). The problem is, you're not going to find anyone who won't want to charge you the earth for doing it. Good luck, Mike.

What you are asking for is duck soup for a luthier and not difficult. The main problem is not getting the correct spacing (easy to calculate and mark) nor matching fretwire (it comes in standard sizes), but seating the fret in its new slot. That area under the fretboard would have to be supported to prevent damage to the top and bracing underneath when the fret is hammered in or seated with a fret press. A simple block of wood supporting the upper transverse brace or more ideally a luthier jack would temporarily support the force. This should not cost you an arm and a leg either, but do not try this at home yourself.

Then there is the issue of messing with and changing an expensive instrument from what it was originally designed as. That is your decision.

Many old guitars, romantic, baroque, have wooden frets glued onto the lower part of the fretbord or even deck.

I have a baroque replica with only 10 frets and am about to add 3 extra, which I have made out of mahogany.
I will glue it with Titebond so they can be removed again with heat and/or steam.

If you use hardwood, I think the wear will be minimal from nylon strings in a not so often used area.

15687085_800.webp

Last edited:
I recall reading here on UU, Sam Muir had a Wunderkammer soprano with 12 frets and, wanting more frets, commissioned another soprano with 15. Since there was space for more frets on that first soprano, I assumed just adding more frets was too difficult.

Sam Muir's custom Beau Hannam ukulele has 14 frets to the body (and several more extending over the soundboard) and a 14" scale length, so I think it's more a long-neck soprano (or a small-bodied concert, if you prefer!)

Many old guitars, romantic, baroque, have wooden frets glued onto the lower part of the fretbord or even deck.

I have a baroque replica with only 10 frets and am about to add 3 extra, which I have made out of mahogany.
I will glue it with Titebond so they can be removed again with heat and/or steam.

If you use hardwood, I think the wear will be minimal from nylon strings in a not so often used area.

15687085_800.webp

That’s really interesting. Unfortunately, if I were to do this myself, I’d likely bungle it resulting in something like a kid’s art project on an otherwise pristine uke.

Sam Muir's custom Beau Hannam ukulele has 14 frets to the body (and several more extending over the soundboard) and a 14" scale length, so I think it's more a long-neck soprano (or a small-bodied concert, if you prefer!)

Sorry, I wasn’t clearer. In the thread I saw, Sam Muir said she commissioned a second soprano from Liam Kirby with 15 frets, specifically for songs that took her past the 12th fret. I believe the two Wunderkammers are pretty similar, and since she’s not very far from him, I assume it wasn’t the hassle of shipping that motivated her to have Liam make a whole new uke instead of simply adding frets.

Thanks to everyone else for their input. If I had a go-to luthier or tech, I would simply have asked him/her, but as it is, I have to search for someone. I thought it would just be easier to ask the experts here first what they thought.

Sorry, I wasn’t clearer. In the thread I saw, Sam Muir said she commissioned a second soprano from Liam Kirby with 15 frets, specifically for songs that took her past the 12th fret. I believe the two Wunderkammers are pretty similar, and since she’s not very far from him, I assume it wasn’t the hassle of shipping that motivated her to have Liam make a whole new uke instead of simply adding frets.

Thanks for the clarification. If you gave Sam a cardboard box with rubber bands stretched across it, she'd make great music!

Top Bottom