Ukuleles with fat C shape neck profiles

bsfloyd

Reaction score
In the guitar world, we call these baseball bat necks - well, at least back in the 80s and 90s we did. Basically a deep C neck profile.

I love the soprano size ukulele, but a thin neck profile gives me troubles. I have a Pono mango and find the deep C neck profile on it to be perfect. My Martin S-O can be troublesome at times. I have read KoAloha Ohio has deeper profiles but I’ve never played one. I know Bruko has a larger neck profile but I find them to be more of a D shape rather a C shape - C shape being more fully rounded and D shape having more of a shoulder to it. Are there any other deep C profile ukuleles out there? Thanks.

Last edited:
My Shima ukulele has a rounder and thicker neck. Soprano body and concert length neck, with tenor width and thickness of neck.

Thanks, Laura! How would you compare it to your KoAloha and Bruko?

Hi bsfloyd -It is right there with the sound of those two with similar resonance and crisp notes. Looks-wise, it has the same understated beauty. I have been playing jazz and blues on it. There is a great review of the Shima here on UU from Baz.

Took me a bit to get used to the neck - it is nothing like my thinner neck Mainland tenor and the Outdoor tenor is more squared. The neck is closer to my Vega baritone, so it was more a matter of retraining the muscle memory, as I usually play soprano. But, I do that anyway with the baritone and tenors. After a song or two I get used to it having more than twelve frets :)

Fleas and Flukes have a fairly thick 'half-a-branch' necks. I can't think of any quality sopranos with a bigger neck than that.

Fleas and Flukes have a fairly thick 'half-a-branch' necks. I can't think of any quality sopranos with a bigger neck than that.

I would've suggested Magic Fluke ukes as well but they have a definite flat point at the back of the neck, so more of a D shape. I understood that that's something the OP was not looking for. But if that's not a huge issue then you'd be pressed to find a chunkier neck on a soprano.

As someone who likes a chunky neck I love the fluke / flea necks. The flat back is a little odd at first but it's incredibly comfortable for me. Had to sell the best soprano I ever had (Takumi 3k) because I found the slender neck really uncomfortable.

Playing without a strap, meaning not always thumb behind the neck and with some thin necks. I feel that too, that a thicker neck is better for me.

I've just bought a Koa Kalane soprano pineapple shape. I'm very pleased with it. One noticeable feature is its chunky neck. From the surface of the fretboard to the back of the neck, it measures 22mm at the seventh fret and 19mm at the nut. My KoAloha, in comparison, is about 18mm at both points. I enjoy playing each of them but, if anything, I have a slight leaning towards a thicker neck.

John Colter

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have read about the Fleas and Flukes with their chunky necks, and also that they are a bit flat in the center. But, I may need to revisit them as the choices are few. So, a Flea neck compared to a Bruko neck... which is more D shape like, and slight difference or major difference?

I've just bought a Koa Kalane soprano pineapple shape. I'm very pleased with it. One noticeable feature is its chunky neck. From the surface of the fretboard to the back of the neck, it measures 22mm at the seventh fret and 19mm at the nut. My KoAloha, in comparison, is about 18mm at both points. I enjoy playing each of them but, if anything, I have a slight leaning towards a thicker neck.

John Colter

Koa Kalane... this is the first I’ve heard of them. I will need to look this up. Thanks.

To be clear, I do like the Flea and Fluke necks.

In my experience, Bruko's haven't got especially thick necks. As for the other end of the spectrum, I have a 1970s (fujigen?) soprano with a neck so thin it's scary to tune up to pitch (but it plays wonderfully).

I have heard comments that Ponos have thick necks. Look into one.

I can affirm this, plunker. My experience has been along the same lines as bsfloyd indicated in his initial post: as much as I love my Martin S-0 soprano, its fairly shallow neck profile can make my fretting hand get a little crampy after a while. On the other hand, the deeper, rounder-feeling neck on my Pono mango soprano "fills up" my fretting hand a little more, and seems to provide greater comfort in longer playing sessions. They are both great ukes, though!

I can affirm this, plunker. My experience has been along the same lines as bsfloyd indicated in his initial post: as much as I love my Martin S-0 soprano, its fairly shallow neck profile can make my fretting hand get a little crampy after a while. On the other hand, the deeper, rounder-feeling neck on my Pono mango soprano "fills up" my fretting hand a little more, and seems to provide greater comfort in longer playing sessions. They are both great ukes, though!

Good to see you, Bill! I’ve been wondering how you’re doing.

Top Bottom