Banjo Ukuleles

niwenomian

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking for input to help me build a list of options for my next uke. I'm after a tenor banjo uke. I've been following Aaron Keim's beansprouts for some time, but as I'm getting closer, I thought I'd look around and see who else is building these. Here's what I've got so far.....feel free to add to it.

Beansprout

Enoch Instruments

M L Neal Banjos

Cedar Mountain

J Romero Banjo Co

The Deering Banjo ukulele's are well built in the USA. They offer a tenor as well as a Concert size. Large heads, banjo sound, excellent quality. Worthy of consideration.

Thanks for the shout for spanky ukes, steve-o-reno.

I've looked into the Deering ukes, I think they have a lot going for them, including a very reasonable price point for a USA built instrument, but I understand that the tenor size has been discontinued.

I've spent some time on the Romero website. Really cool instruments, but pricy! And the wait......five years, IF you can get on their list. It's only open one day a year and then it's a lottery.

If you're looking for a tenor banjo uke, be sure to check out the Magic Fluke Firefly. Very lightweight, and super comfortable to play. Sounds good too!

https://www.magicfluke.com/Magic-Fluke-Firefly-Banjo-Ukulele-p/firefly-tenor.htm

firefly-tenor-2.jpg

My wife bought me an Eddy Finn Resonantor Banjolele.
I heard it played at People’s Music in Petaluma. I was ready to buy it from them, next time I was in the area, but they were out and wouldn’t get another one for 6 months or so.
So my sweetie found one in line. Heavy sucker, but I really like the tone. And it is LOUD.
Can have the back removed and played standard.

I can only comment on Beansprouts which I believe to be first rate.
If you are looking for “off the shelf” as opposed to custom made then the firefly is good value for money.

Has anyone mentioned the Duke 10? Nice uke at a good price.

That's if you can get one. Sadly they're currently sold out and no more will be made for the foreseeable future: according to the website the pandemic means they can't arrange another production run yet, but they are taking registrations of interest should they restart manufacture.

That's if you can get one. Sadly they're currently sold out and no more will be made for the foreseeable future: according to the website the pandemic means they can't arrange another production run yet, but they are taking registrations of interest should they restart manufacture.

That's a shame.

Beansprouts are mighty fine instruments, if they're in your budget. Aaron uses "domestic/local/salvaged woods, vintage woodworking equipment and traditional hand woodworking techniques."

Top Bottom