Playing DGBE after learning GCEA

DancingUkerr

Reaction score
I have a year of playing with GCEA tuning.
As I have taken interest in playing some songs on the baritone DGBE tuning. I have done so by shifting the chords by a fifth, so I am always thinking in terms of GCEA tuning. How do others prefer to learn and play the two type of tuning ?

Last edited:
That's how I do it in general - try to think of every uke as GCEA and transpose the chords as needed rather than try to remember different names for the same shape. If you look at my signature block you'll see I have ukes tuned lots of different ways but they are all transpositions of GCEA so I can think of all of the in the same way

To be honest, I just play the same exact thing on the Baritone as I did on the smaller ukes. However, I do keep in mind that I'm playing in a different key. For example, if I learnt a song in C on a soprano, I play the exact same thing on the baritone while remembering that I am playing in G on the baritone.

In terms of keys, the guitar and baritone will have one "sharper" signature more. If like me you know the basic guitar chords then it might make sense to remember their names in both tunings, also in baritone.

Alternative as have been mentioned for uke players is just to use the DGBE tuning as an instant transposition to a 4rth lower or a 5th higher key as in like singing purposes from our standard GCEA.

Top Bottom