So, what

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just bought a nice soprano hard case, found it in Kala’s Clearance section marked down to $38.99. It’s an archtop case. It came with three compensating pads for carrying regular ukes. That got me to thinking, has anyone actually ever seen an Archtop Soprano? I haven’t. A Google search didn’t reveal one. eBay has a bunch of soprano archtop cases, but no archtop soprano ukuleles. Why would there be all those archtop cases out there, but no archtop ukuleles to go in them? Just asking.

Last edited:
At first I thought by “archtop case” you were talking about a case made specially for archtop ukuleles, but I think what you’re actually referring to are hard cases made with an archtop. The cases are called archtops because of the shape of the case, not because they’re designed for archtop ukes. By the way, your query made me curious, so I looked and did find some archtop sopranos. But you’re right, they’re not common.

Archtop cases are desirable because the arch gives the top a little stronger protection against force from the top. That is, if you push down on the arch, the force is spread outwards more than in a case with a flat lid. So your instrument is better protected from at least that one direction. On the other hand, hard cases with flat lids are desirable because they are easier to store or stack, having no protrusion on the lid. Also, they’re typically cheaper since they’re easier to make.

As someone who primarily uses hard cases for storage and gig bags for going out, it would make sense for me to use hard cases with flat lids. However, I like the way archtop cases look, despite being a little obnoxious to store, and I tend to choose archtop cases when available.

Rafter, I think you’re right. The archtop case does look cool, and I suppose it is a bit stronger on the one side due to the arch. And, when carrying your Uke in it, people would be more likely to think you’re a real musician, you know, like a Violinist or something. :eek:

Rafter, I think you’re right. The archtop case does look cool, and I suppose it is a bit stronger on the one side due to the arch. And, when carrying your Uke in it, people would be more likely to think you’re a real musician, you know, like a Violinist or something. :eek:

The only downside it laying another uke case on top of an archtop - kinda wobbly.

Jerry, I can’t help but comment on your ‘Signature,’ “....to many ukes.” Alas, but so true. We’ve had to put most all of our stuff in storage, and move into a one bedroom apartment while waiting for a new home to be built. I stored 70 ukes, and kept three back to play during the interim. That was only a month ago. I now have 5 ukes in the apartment, and another is on its way to me. The damn things multiply like rabbits. I think they’ve put something in the water!

Jerry, I can’t help but comment on your ‘Signature,’ “....to many ukes.” Alas, ...

I read it as if:

"...to All the Ukes I've Loved Before"

In the in the song's lyrics replace "girls" with "ukes," and it will all makes sense.

Is it possible that it is a violin case? A soprano size might indicate a 3/4 size fiddle.

My Pono Pro Classic tenor came with an archtop case. My belief was, as Jerry said, more room, to protect the top.

Last edited:
I always thought the arched top of the case was to accommodate the bridge and the strings so that the top could fit tightly over the body but not squish them down.

Nice version of 'So, what'!

Toby Chennell builds archtop soprano ukuleles, but most other brands with archtop models only use the design on concert or tenor sizes. And apart from the Kala ones, you won't find them on amazon.

EDIT: one low budget brand, Fame, has an archtop floating bridge design on offer.

Last edited:
Actually, the Title was supposed to be “So what about all those Arch Top Cases”. But, the stupid bug in the Forum truncated both the title and the body of my post. I redid the body, but somehow missed the problem with the title.

I always thought the arched top of the case was to accommodate the bridge and the strings so that the top could fit tightly over the body but not squish them down.

That's what I have heard as well. It seems to be true from what I have observed in the linings of my flat and archtop cases. Granted, some are tighter fitting than others.

Top Bottom