Hog Heaven

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Pics of my 2 solid mahogany tenors, a Farida, strung reentrant with UkeLogic hard tensions, and an Elite Doghair, strung with Fremont Blacklines, with wound Soloist Low G. The Farida is a 12-fret, with a lively sweet tone, good bark, easy playing. The Elite has a rich, woody, complex sound, perfect for low G. They look similar, but the doghair finish is more pronounced on the Elite.

20201119_170237.jpgDuo2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Got to love the diversity of look and especially tone. I've always had a soft spot for the Elite dog hairs.

I sort of have a longing for a salt and pepper, but I'm suppressing it.

Bluesy

Nice pair of ukes! I looked at the photo before I finished reading your description and my first thought was "wow, that's a Kala?". Of course I see now it's an Elite. When they came out with the doghair, I was so impressed with the look of the black one with the white grain, I overlooked how nice this one is. Nice rounded edges too, compared to the Farida. Faridas are interesting too. They caught my attention with their selection of classic looking sopranos.

Last edited:
I like a striking mahogany grain but they're actually not that common, I find. Surprisingly, the nicest I've seen was a Mexican-made Martin S1 which was absolutely beautiful. The open pore finish was probably the main reason there. Even my vintage Martin or Kiwaya KTS-7 don't look that nice. The mahogany grain on the Kiwaya specifically looks surprisingly boring, probably due to the flat matte finish.

I wonder if a plain mahogany uke can be stripped and stained to imitate that doghair look? It's very attractive.

Nice hogs! I love hog! Both my ukes and my guitar are solid hog! (Well techincally my guitar is a hog top with sapelle back and side's but close enough)

Sweeet! How’s the neck carve and nut width on the Farida?

It is standard 35mm nut, but for some reason, I can play it easily and accurately, unlike many 35mm ukes. Not sure why, but I'll be checking out my various ukes with a cheapo contour gauge I just got in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom