Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Low G tuning

Default Opinions on Low G tuning

Would like opinions on Low G tuning compared to High G Tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I like and use both. I have at least two ukes strung Low G (both tenors) and the rest High G (reentrant) tuning.
    Larry

KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

I am also a fan of both stringing methods. They each have their own charm. Right now I am using low G, but I will swap that string out when I fancy a more traditional sound. Eventually when I have two Ukes, the tenor will be in Low G and the soprano will be kept in high g. A five string Uke with both might be fun to try out...or not.

Default Low G Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    I like and use both. I have at least two ukes strung Low G (both tenors) and the rest High G (reentrant) tuning.
    Thanks for the word on Tuning. I never tried Low G but think I will. I read you can use a Nylon guitar D string for a Low G.

I like them both. I have a tenor, concert, and soprano all strung low G. The concert and soprano are both Romero Creations which were created with low G in mind. The rest of my dozen or so ukes are all high G. I go from playing one more that the other for a while, and then switch. Lately it's been more high G for me.

If you're a complete beginner, I would recommend starting with high G. If you're coming from a guitar background, playing low G might be an easier way to begin playing a ukulele. No matter which way you start, sooner or later you'll want to try the other.
    Last edited by Ed1; 11-20-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Default Oscar Schmidt tenor Spalted Mango Uku High G Video & Song

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    https://youtu.be/7GRJe6w_rgY

High G (called reentrant): traditional uke sound - happy, jangly, airy.

Low G (called linear): more guitar-like sound, extended range on low end (more important on fingerstyle or chord melody styles). Some strummed chords sound "off" with low G, requiring skipping that string, or closing it by fingering it, often higher up from first 3 frets.

Just my experience, YMMV. Both are fun, and different. Having one of each is great. I came from the guitar world, but started out with high-G sopranos. But, many guitarists find that linear Low-G makes more sense initially.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 11-20-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    John

Some fingerstyle tablature is arranged for low-G and won't work with high-G. I'm too lazy to try to figure out how to convert these to high-G. I got a low-G ukulele just to play these songs. Never use it otherwise.

What's not to like about low G? It takes a three stringed instrument and turns it into a four stringed instrument. It doubles the amount of scales you can play. I do keep one of my ukes in the re-entrant tuning out of a sense of duty to the tradition but it isn't terribly useful to me.

I have one of each in tenor. I like the low G because I pick and Chord Melody more than just strumming. My Low G tenor is mahogany, the low G is nice with the warmer sound of that instrument.

Thread Information