Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on Low G tuning

I have 5 ukes all in high G. I sold my tenor that was low-g never really used it. I also play guitar so never felt the need for a low-g uke.

People that think (usually beginners) that a lo G setup sounds good strummed bother me. I played a concert scale uke strung up lo G today that sounded awful. But I have one that sounds pretty good, plucking three strings at a time.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Would like opinions on Low G tuning compared to High G Tuning.
    Totally personal preference. General advice: if it's your first uke, or you are still new to uke, stick with high G as most online tutorials and resources will be with high G in mind. If you are coming from guitar to uke, then consider a baritone uke (easiest transition from guitar to uke) or low g which keeps the linear tuning you would be used to with a guitar.

Ideally, and again personal preference, it's cool to have multiple ukes with different tunings so you can options. I have found that most of my ukes sound great with their standard tuning while some, to me, sound better with alternate tuning.

My go to uke is low G still have a high g though. My 8 string is both at the same time. Like low g for picking, extra notes come in handey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    People that think (usually beginners) that a lo G setup sounds good strummed bother me. I played a concert scale uke strung up lo G today that sounded awful. But I have one that sounds pretty good, plucking three strings at a time.
    It’s not just beginners who think this, and I agree, reentrant sounds better strummed, and is easier to strum as well. You have to have a different attack with low G, too. But I’ve liked both at various times, and I have some low G arrangements I like a lot.

Strumming on low G is fun too, just different to play, and different sounding, a bit more guitar-like, IMO. It sounds less like the happy reentrant uke sound that some folks prefer, but nothing wrong with it. Didn't Bruddah Iz strum low G quite often?
    https://youtu.be/R0xoMhCT-7A
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Strumming on low G is fun too, just different to play, and different sounding, a bit more guitar-like, IMO. It sounds less like the happy reentrant uke sound that some folks prefer, but nothing wrong with it. Didn't Bruddah Iz strum low G quite often?
    https://youtu.be/R0xoMhCT-7A
    From what I hear, Iz performed Somewhere Over the Rainbow with low g.

Sorry for the double post. I tried to quote someone, and it somehow got all messed up.
    Last edited by CommonCurt; 12-29-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient View Post
    I have tried the low G on a uke but always go back to high g. My baritone also has a high d. Makes the baritone sound so much better to me.
    I have a background in Classical Guitar but I don't want my ukes to sound like a guitar

My thoughts exactly. Being a guitar player I automatically thought that I'd love a low-G strung tenor.
    It did sound good, but if I want to play something that sounds like a guitar I'll play one of my 6 strings.

I am curious how my redwood topped concert would sound strung low-G. I love the way it sounds with high-G, but will probably try a low-G on it someday just to see.
    Last edited by CommonCurt; 12-29-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

I don't have much more to add then has already been said. I prefer Low G because of the lower range, and like to play chord melody with it. However, I have a friend who plays chord melody on a High G uke. Just what you get used to. The only time I play High G is when I play clawhammer uke or just want to strum chords.

Thread Information