Covid Practice Blues

about2

Reaction score
So during this time of Covid restrictions, how are you keeping your uke practice times vibrant? What's working for you?

As Covid continues and winter starts it long dark night.....I'm pulling out old books to actually work through.....going to spend some time in the local zoom jam as time permits....continue to play as much as my mind allows me to......I'm lucky in some ways...I continue to work......winter is always hard.......really early to bed.....cause it dark.....still up and at 'em early 'cause works gotta be done.......

The restrictions mean nothing to my ukulele time. I still do the same: practice chord shapes, practice jazzier chord qualities, practice modes--all with the intention of being a more fluid improviser.

So during this time of Covid restrictions, how are you keeping your uke practice times vibrant? What's working for you?

I understand you.

I think the key is to always have something reachable to aim for. The best goal, IMHO, is to aim to please others with your music. By "please others", I mean anything for other people to listen. I find personal goals (WRT musical instruments) that does not involve other people just don't work for me. You've got to show off all that hard work to others.

I stopped practicing (which doesn't equal to stop playing the ukulele) once I realized that I probably won't be attending the local ukulele jams in-person anytime soon. (My initial goal was to play the songs my son wants to hear; once that's done, I set the goal to playing with the local ukulele groups (I've sttended some online sessions, but found it too boring).

I thought about the UU seasons, which offers an audience (i.e. impetus for practice); but, just then, I got back into guitars.

I've been practicing guitars a lot because my goal is to catch up to (at least get as close to as possible to) where I left off a few years ago so that I can take some guitar classes at my proper level once the COVID-19 pandemic is resolved

So, find something that's possible (during the COVID19 outbreak) and that involves other people, then you'll have more urge to practice.

BTW, I recognized this (not wanting to practice) being a problem a while back when I tried to start a beginner ukulele song group. Unfortunately, there was no interest. If you, or anybody else, starts one, I'd love to join.

Everybody in the beginner's group should play the same assigned song each week; the song should be the same for everybody so that we can give feedbacks (learn from feedbacks to the other performances); I'd imagine the more experienced players here (who may not be within the group) giving feedbacks too. As the weeks go back, the selected songs will get progressively harder naturally (as the group's skill level improves). Group members can even take turns picking a song for that week. Of course, this means new comers who's skill level is below the group must form their own beginner's group.

Initially, (March), I didn't play much. Too busy trying to figure out which end was up, & what was going on. One job was finally determined to be gone forever, and the other job changed, with trying to do something online that really can't be done well online. Endless meetings, webinars, and so on. (Zoom, zoom, zoom.)

Then finally back to in person for the remaining job, which made things easier, though obviously not safer. That helped me get back into playing, though mostly just trying to play what I was already working on better, rather than add in new things.

I'm now finally getting back into learning new music, and considering learning about electronics as an additional thing to play with. I finally am waking up in the morning with music in my head instead of all the stress from the last year.

I considered online classes, but don't have a good track record with those. I get bored & don't complete them. But, I still keep considering them. LOL. Might give it a try again this winter when an expected increase in COVID may cause the job to go sideways again.

Unlike clear, my playing is all strictly for myself, so my playing/practicing doesn't need to involve others.
But for those like clear who enjoy groups and their feedback, I think that's a great idea. I hope that you find a good group, clear.

BTW, I recognized this (not wanting to practice) being a problem a while back when I tried to start a beginner ukulele song group. Unfortunately, there was no interest. If you, or anybody else, starts one, I'd love to join.

Everybody in the beginner's group should play the same assigned song each week; the song should be the same for everybody so that we can give feedbacks (learn from feedbacks to the other performances); I'd imagine the more experienced players here (who may not be within the group) giving feedbacks too. As the weeks go back, the selected songs will get progressively harder naturally (as the group's skill level improves). Group members can even take turns picking a song for that week. Of course, this means new comers who's skill level is below the group must form their own beginner's group.

If you ever decide to start one again, let me know. I found one group (Tikidave) who plays songs twice--once slower, once faster, so it's a little easier for a beginner. At least I can kinda keep up on some of them.

I practice in my car! I at first did it just to not annoy my wife with my playing but I ended up loving it. It's amazing what the change in location does for my pysche. Though it's starting to get too cold for that now.

In the beginning of Covid, I didn't touch my uke at all. The loss of playing with my local groups, playing in church, and being a music volunteer made me very sad. At the same time, I was just beginning to navigate retirement. I needed some time to get my head, heart, and daily life re-oriented. Then (through UU, thanks Jerry) I discovered online groups to play with on Zoom. I know Zoom isn't perfect, but for me it's been a lifesaver. It got me interested and excited about playing, learning new music, and performing for others. I was a reluctant performer & shy singer before Covid. Now I play & sing every Wednesday on the Ukulele Catskill Open Mic. I jam with them on Saturdays. I play with Tiki Dave's Facebook Live sessions on Fridays & sometimes his Saturday Zoom session. My local ukulele groups have started monthly Zoom sessions back up, so I'm playing with my local uke family once again. My church has been doing Zoom services since the beginning of Covid, and there are 4 of us that rotate doing special music each Sunday. Pre-Covid, I was content to blend in with the worship band, and I never let them put a mic in front of me to sing. Well.......that cat's out of the bag now, since I sing every 4th Sunday now. I've really been trying to see the upside of all of this madness. I've met wonderful people from all over the US & the world via online groups. I'm constantly working on new songs and pushing the boundaries of my ukulele universe.

A big thumbs up for Tiki Dave that captain-janeway mentioned above. You can download his music ahead of time if you want, and he always has it on screen. He plays with backing tracks which is great. He does a bit of teaching along the way, more so on the Saturday Zoom session than the Facebook Live session on Fridays. Go to his Facebook page midweek and click on events to see the Friday & Saturday info.

Spring was just ...wow. I have always had one or two classes online, but now the rest of mine were remotely taught to what were originally face to face classes who now had to navigate online platforms.

Fall was better. I still taught remotely or online, but everyone knew that ahead of time. Since I am only commuting two afternoons a week for office hours I picked up a lot more practice time. Like someone else on this thread, I pulled out some music books and really concentrated on them. I am always learning one song for fun, and the rest are from books that teach me a technique while I am learning the song.

Since we are all in the red for Covid 19 in my surrounding counties, I will not even need to go to the campus for office hours for the first eight weeks of spring semester. I plan on doing Ukulele Aerobics, which I have had forever, but never did more than a few pages.

I practice in my car! I at first did it just to not annoy my wife with my playing but I ended up loving it. It's amazing what the change in location does for my pysche. Though it's starting to get too cold for that now.

With the various restrictions in place, that may be a thought for when we're stuck sitting in parking lots, waiting for a human or animal who had a medical appointment, for example, and we're not allowed to go in with them. I've just been bringing a book to read, and never thought about bringing a ukulele.

With the various restrictions in place, that may be a thought for when we're stuck sitting in parking lots, waiting for a human or animal who had a medical appointment, for example, and we're not allowed to go in with them. I've just been bringing a book to read, and never thought about bringing a ukulele.

Yeah. It was a lovely realization. I discoved that I can also play my banjo in my car, just barely, but pretty comfortably. Guitar, not so much. I tried once with my little Jim Dandy parlor and it only sorta worked. I could play it but it wasn't very comfortable so I gave up on car guitar practice.

For those who are willing to proceed on their own, might I humbly suggest the Practice Sheets
contained in the Ukulele Boot Camp (link listed in my signature below) at 'weebly.com'.
(NOTE: Holiday Songbook also available, same link :) )

This will enable those who take up this challenge to gain familiarity with 5 of the most used
keys that you will find in the majority of current ukulele songbooks. That will be the keys of
C, F, G, A, and D. I strum through the chord progressions from each Practice
Sheet (from memory) at a moderate 2 strum per chord tempo.

NOTE: a Big shout out to Choirguy (Dr Chris Russell) for creating and uploading to YouTube
a series of play-along videos which anyone can access for audio assistance for such practice.
Thank you Dr Chris! (BTW search for 'ukulele boot camp')

In order to modulate from one key to the next I end each chord progression as follows:

Key of C should end C, F, C, C7... then on to the chord progression in the Key of F.

Key of F should end F, Bb, F, D7... then on to the chord progression in the Key of G.

Key of G should end G, C, G, E7... then on to the Key of A.

Key of A should end A, D, A, A7... then on to the Key of D.

Key of D should end D. G, D (3 strums) :)

I hope this makes sense.

if you have any questions, please email me (rohiguchi@gmail.com)

Top Bottom