Chromatic tuner comparison....

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
In the past few months I have purchased both an intellitouch PT-2 Tuner and an FZone FT-800 Tuner. Here are my thoughts on the two.

I bought the intellitouch PT-2 first, at a local music store. Having never used an electronic chromatic tuner before, it seemed wonderful to me. The display uses a series of LCD arrowhead shapes to display the state of tune. I found this to be quite a bit less than intuitive, and difficult to get used to. I figured it out, and was happy enough.

Later I bought a second uke....a soprano this time. Several problems with the intellitouch PT-2 made themselves evident. The tuner needs to fit such that it projects rearward from the peghead in order to read it right-side-up. This meant that it competed for very little room with the soprano's friction tuners. I couldn't find a way to have the tuner on the peghead and still have access to all of the tuning knobs.

Also, the soprano has a very thin peghead. The tuner would not grip the peghead at all. The sliding clamp on this tuner will not accept anything less than a certain thickness. I had to fashion a cardboard shim to take up some slack before it would even stay in place.

The friction tuners of the soprano made the already difficult arrowhead display even more problematic to work with.

Obviously, it had become time to shop for another tuner. This time I bought the FZone FT-800, also from a local music store. What a difference! All of my problems were immediately solved.

The display is much like an LCD version of an ordinary analog guage that you might find in a car, for example. Immediately intuitive.

The tuner fits on top of the peghead and projects forward, where there is nothing but room and more room....2 for 2.

The pinch-type clamp on the FZone FT-800 will clamp down on the soprano's peghead without a problem. I could clamp it on a piece of paper....there is no minimum thickness....3 for 3.

The FZone FT-800 made it easier (by far) for me to use the friction tuners on the soprano (which I really am not very good at). 4 for 4.

Also, the FZone is backlit....the intellitouch is not.

All those reasons, plus price. The FZone is cheaper than the intellitouch. Guess which one I prefer? ;)

Looking for a new chromatic tuner? If the choices are between these two tuners, pick the FZone FT-800!

True: expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

There are a few more alternatives out there. I have a korg AW-1 wich I am very happy with (as happy as you can be about a tuner anyway ;) ) I use it for all my instruments, from the upright bass to the soprano ukulele. The only time where it won't track immediately is when I tune the Low B on my 5-string bass, but most tuners have problems in that range so that's nothing to be upset about.
Here's a pic:
173584.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure there are many more alternatives out there....but I only have experience with these two. I had never used any chromatic tuners until a few months ago, and did my shopping based on zero experience. Now I've used two.

I just posted this (admittedly limited) comparison to share my thoughts on these two specific models, in the hopes it might help someone who was shopping these particular brands....

You did a good start, just wanted to add my nickel to the collection ;)

edit: I have used a couple of other tuners too, but not of the clamp-on design. My most important experice is that Boss tuners should be avoided like the plague because they are inaccurate.

Last edited:
I have one of the older Intellitouch tuners (it was $50!) and I like my cheaper Intelli IMT500 better. It's lighter, picks up the note a lot quicker, and is easier to read.

The pinch-type clamp on the FZone FT-800 will clamp down on the soprano's peghead without a problem. I could clamp it on a piece of paper....there is no minimum thickness....

That's good as to know I find most of my paper needs some tuning as it tends to be kind of flat. (though occasionally it's sharp and gives me a papercut.)

You did a good start, just wanted to add my nickel to the collection ;)

edit: I have used a couple of other tuners too, but not of the clamp-on design. My most important experice is that Boss tuners should be avoided like the plague because they are inaccurate.

do they measure by a mic? because you have to be in a totally silent room to get accurate measures on those kines..

My FT 800 just went gunnybag. just sit there and flashes at me. It won't turn off, nothing just flashes at me. I have the same problem with my cat just sits there and looks at me with a dumb look.

I just ordered (and I mean just now) one of those new Kala KC-02 tuners from MGM. I seem to have lost my old Intellitouch PT-2. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Just bought an Intellitouch IMT-900 (it was 5 bucks more than the 500 series plus its transposable elements would make it easier to tune my other instruments, namely clarinet), but that Korg does look interesting...

Err. UAAS? (Accessory)

Top Bottom