Name that Tune!

LorenFL

Reaction score
Okay, I guess you have to be over about 45 to even know about "Name that Tune".

Anyway, this website (did somebody here create it?) gives you simple pages with chord progressions, shows you the chord diagrams to help with the chords you don't know. Neat little exercise in itself.

But, it didn't take me long to realize that many of the "great chord progressions" are lifted from songs that I've experimented with already!

So, it's like playing "Name that Tune" with yourself. Play each progression with different strum patterns and tempos and try to find the song in it!

https://ukulelego.com/ukulele-chord-progressions/#dm-g7-c-am-f-dm-bb-g7

Hint: this one's an early Beatles song.

OK, I know yours Loren. (I won't spoil it for others who want to figure it out.)

Here's another. Hint: There is more than one correct answer (hopefully some that I don't know). Of course it doesn't have to be in C.

[: C / B Bb | A / / / | D7 / G7 / | C / / / | C / B Bb | A / / / | D7 / / / |G7 / / / |

| C / / / | C7 / / / | F / / / | Cdim / / / | C / B Bb | A / / / | D7 / G7 / :]

And if you substitute this bridge, there's at least one more song.

[: C / B Bb | A / / / | D7 / G7 / | C / / / | C / B Bb | A / / / | D7 / / / |G7 / / / |

| C / D7 / | G7 / / / | C / D7 / | G7 / / / | C / B Bb | A / / / | D7 / G7 / :]

Last edited:
Yeah, that's fun too. You can absolutely find the same chord progressions shared among different songs!

I like it when I'm just plunking around on scales and stumble across melodies that I know.

Wait, is your first one "Red Hot"? If not, the chords are right!

"Dock of the Bay" uses some of that same set, too. A lot of old ragtime blues/jazz stuff does. I've been jamming to "Ain't Got Nobody To Grind My Coffee" lately. It's got a similar vibe.

Top Bottom