Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low G string sounds bad

Thanks all for the tips! I have ordered the fluorocarbon from Fremont inspired by merlin666 and rainbow21. I will experiment a couple more times and worst-case scenario, I will go back to the reentrant tuning which was not bad after all . Muting/choking the sound with proper technique... that's also a good one, but outside my reach as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkozu View Post
    Muting/choking the sound with proper technique... that's also a good one, but outside my reach as of now.
    Indeed. The only thing more difficult than playing a note is not playing it.

I think Loren probably gets the closest to the root of the problem. A soprano by nature pushes the limits of low-G tuning. Here's some nerdy reading about why: https://web.archive.org/web/20180428...ningbelow1.htm.

You could try tuning up to low-A D F# B and see if that puts the pitch in a better place for the instrument.

Just for fun, since my wife is on the treadmill and out of earshot... I just checked to see what the resonance of my new Concert uke is. It's somewhere right around F# to G. That explains why my low G is a little bit boomy, but not TOO bad.

Worst thing about this particular uke with Low G is that the G string about the 10th fret is just dead. It has no sustain, just a thud. C string on the same fret rings like a glorious bell.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Loren,

To be honest, I never pay attention to Wolf tones. It is kind of like having a P90 pickup on a guitar: It buzzes when you stop playing. The solution? Never stop playing. So I just keep playing. If I'm going through a scale and a note is off, I guess I could ask myself was that a Wolf Tone or a muffed note? I don't know. I just move on. Based on your personality, this is either a major issue or a trifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Loren,

To be honest, I never pay attention to Wolf tones. It is kind of like having a P90 pickup on a guitar: It buzzes when you stop playing. The solution? Never stop playing. So I just keep playing. If I'm going through a scale and a note is off, I guess I could ask myself was that a Wolf Tone or a muffed note? I don't know. I just move on. Based on your personality, this is either a major issue or a trifle.
    Truth!

It's all mind over matter. I don't mind, and it doesn't matter.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Thread Information