Beginner's book for kids

Reaction score
This Christmas I'm gifting a couple StewMac kits I built (soprano and concert) to two kids who are special to me, a fifth-grader and a sixth-grader. I'm seeking recommendations for beginners uke books appropriate for that age group.

I went with a Hal Leonard method written by Lil Rev when I wanted a book for my daughter. I didn't play uke myself, so I didn't know what to look for. In hindsight you probably don't need a book. There is so much stuff available online, on various websites and YouTube. Much is for free, especially for a beginner.

That's not to say that a book is useless, and that the Lil Rev one never got used. As a matter of fact, the book first got into simple melodies instead of a C or am chord. I already came from a 'melodic' instrument, and picking a melody line came easy to me. As a result I was never intimidated by fingerpicking, and I learnt that right from the start. If you know which music they listen to then you could try to look for 'easy X or Y for ukulele'.

Unless those kids already have some musical background, learning from books is unnecessarily difficult when there are more interactive formats available. Frankly, giving musical instruments is not a good idea. But if you are committed to giving them those ukuleles, then I'd suggest talking to their parnets/guardians and enroll them into some kind of private ukulele instruction (or perhaps you can teach them). I think this will have the best chances of them playing the ukulele long term.

Top Bottom