Season 458--If It Makes You Happy...

This is me happiest mnusically....arseing about .............

I wasn't going to do another one but I'm having too much fun with my new toys. This is a folk song, in that it's a song that folk sing.

I see YouTube have been "improving" things again. They don't seem to get "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
i kept going back to the classic youtube, as they called it, for as long as i could, even as they made it more of a fuss every day to do that. but of course in the end they made everyone use the new, allegedly improved version. it's such a mess, navigation is all over the place because you get different menu options on different pages. on the "my videos" page or whatever they call it now, they think the only videos i might want to search for, are my own. there used to be a "search your own vids" option, but also, at the top of the page, like at the top of every page (in the old days), the good old "search all of youtube" box. but not any more............

speaking of things that vex one, ukes are great for helping to get stuff that bugs you, outta your system. eg. if there is, as there was for me today, a racket, your uke may not be able to shut it up for you, but it can drown it out a little, and help you make up a shouty song about it all, to make you feel, if not quite happier, then at least slightly less miserable! all you need are a couple of chords, and something to shout about...

"racket"

Always loved this song. Have seen Tony Joe White a few times in small venues in Sydney. Was a fine artist.I remember one concert. Him, a drummer and a stuffed alligator...chomp ..chomp.

This is one of those songs that all of us have played, I imagine, and it's always one that makes me happy...

During the Seasonista open mic today, it occurred to me that I really wanted to play this song by Dent May.

I had never heard this one until I saw the great versions here by Wim and pabrizzer. I wanted to try this one too, so I learned it last night and did a quick take into my cellphone. What a wonderful song by Janis Ian.

Last edited:
Of all the songs I play, this one is one of my favorites, it always brings a smile to my face. Also, it's about the only one that friends/family actually remember, and request for me to play again. I did this a while back here, but wanted to try it again on my mahogany tenor uke.

This is one of my favorite songs, and I've been working on learning it for a while. With help from Kev, I feel like we were able to tackle it. Hope ya'll enjoy. Stock footage from Archive.org

Can I sneak one more in? Inspired by pabrizzer at last night's meet, and by the other excellent versions here, I decided to have a crack at this.

I might have got a bit carried away with Garage Band. Also I probably took some liberties with the tune since I hadn't heard it until today. Close enough for folk :).

Pretty much any song I play on ukulele brings me joy.

One of my non-UU friends who follows my uke videos occasionally requests a song. I've never performed any of their song requests. Until now.

Hopefully, this not-enough-practice-to-get-comfortable-with-the-melody version of their song request for this Season will bring a little joy.

What a week! 67 videos, including at least one first-time seasonista! I enjoyed the heck out of all of them--now I need to rewatch and pick a winner! I hope to post a complete wrapup within a few days. Thanks for filling my week with joy!

Sorry it's taken me so long to return here! I've been fighting some minor health issues (just a cold--NOT Covid), so I'm not going to post a video as I sound and look scary today. What a great batch of videos were posted. My goal was to increase everyone's happiness level, and judging by everyone's demeanor in the videos, I succeeded. I really enjoyed all of the contributions, so I decided to do a random drawing instead of trying to choose a favorite. Our winner is hendulele, for The Train that Carried my Girl from Town! Rick, please pm me with your mailing address and I'll get that Waterman on its way to you! Thanks for a great week, everyone!
Luis

Top Bottom