Kanile'a Manakō-T Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I was salivating over the Manako Concert when they were first announced earlier this year. The whole range looks and sounds fantastic but... well, let's just say you hit the nail on the head regarding the price. I bought the SUS Concert not long after the SUS Tenor review. I think those models are a steal since you're basically getting a custom Kanile'a with the price (or actually even less) of a K1. But these Manako models are almost twice the price of the SUS models. I don't mean to say they're too expensive since if someone is after that kind of quality they are definitely getting their moneys worth. They are simply just too expensive for my taste.

Very pricey. And too rich for my means too..

But tone wise I think this has a tonne more complexity than the cedar models.

Will be small volume of course - knowing that whilst there certainly are many buyers who spend these levels, it's not an endless list of customers!

Thanks for the review. After seeing and playing a few Kanile'as with slothead and stealth tuners I would not want to own a slothead with different design. This is definitely a worthy upgrade.

But tone wise I think this has a tonne more complexity than the cedar models.

Well great, now my UAS is on full throttle again...

Then again, that's not really surprising. The cedar mahogany combo probably just doesn't offer that complexity. I find it's probably better at projection, the cedar specifically.

I've been eyeing a mango uke for some time now so I'm wondering if a more affordable brand, like Rebel or Pono, could get even close to the sound of this one. I doubt it...

I've not played a massive amount of mango ukes (maybe half a dozen) but this is the best I've both seen and heard by a country mile. I did know someone with mango Pono found it was very quiet. Not sure which model

Thanks for the review. After seeing and playing a few Kanile'as with slothead and stealth tuners I would not want to own a slothead with different design. This is definitely a worthy upgrade.

My first time seeing Stealth tuners in the flesh. I'm a big fan - not only on looks - but how 'direct' they work too. Wonderful gear system.

Google examples of luthiers who have used them in regular headstock use and 'hidden' them - amazing things!

Yep - really is - I find it hard to impartially review Kanile'a when I have always been so vocal about liking them - but.. as I say at the end about the T Shirt - it's not like I need encouragement to give them a positive review - anyone who plays one will see they are a LONG WAY from being shabby!!

Yes - just like that John. I've also seen people use them the regular way around and countersink the mechanism a little too.

Alex and Phil from SUS did a comparison of the SUS Cedar/Mahogany, SUS Mango, and Koa Kanile'a. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFB2JXLM3I

Alex wrote in the comments:
For me the Cedar uke records best and responds in a more dynamic way to various different string types and playing styles.

The Manako mango uke is more complex. When playing with other people it does a great job of filling out the missing frequencies and although the single note parts don't cut through or project in the mix as much; it's got it going on.

The Koa one sounds polished and traditional. A more gifted player than me would get more out of it on stage but at home it's got one of the most inspiring sounds...

Alex and Phil from SUS did a comparison of the SUS Cedar/Mahogany, SUS Mango, and Koa Kanile'a. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFB2JXLM3I

Alex wrote in the comments:
For me the Cedar uke records best and responds in a more dynamic way to various different string types and playing styles.

The Manako mango uke is more complex. When playing with other people it does a great job of filling out the missing frequencies and although the single note parts don't cut through or project in the mix as much; it's got it going on.

The Koa one sounds polished and traditional. A more gifted player than me would get more out of it on stage but at home it's got one of the most inspiring sounds...

I would definitely agree with that. I was playing with my SUS-C yesterday and paying attention to the sound more than usual. It originally came with Martin fluorocarbon strings which made the sound bright and crisp but still balanced. I tested clear nylons on it quickly and it lost a lot of projection and gained huge amounts of warmth. I now have Worth Browns on it and they still make the sound bright and crisp when played hard but you can get a mellower sound by playing softer. It's, indeed, fairly dynamic in that sense.

Judging by videos alone, I would definitely agree on the sound of the Manako models as well.

Top Bottom