Buying at internationnal

Ukemaxx

Reaction score
hello, i would like to buy a concert opio from the hms store, i live in canada, does anyone know if the customs fees and taxes are high? i dont want to buy the uke twice ,, thanks !!

The best thing to do is email them and ask.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

which I did but he says he takes care of the shipment, they don't know what happened at the border. it is for her that I would like to have the opinion of someone who has already done it

Last edited:
Can you look on your own government's website, that should give you an idea about how much import tax might cost. Also many shipping countries charge a standard fee for if the item has to pass through customs so you may need to look into that too.

I know for the UK, anything coming from outside Europe usually incurs a 27percent tax if it's over GBP35 plus then about GBP12-20 for the courier for their "handling" fee

They ship DHL, which is very thorough in finding everything they can charge you for. With my two purchases, they collected GST, PST and a brokerage fee, 6% duty on my Thai built ukulele, 11% duty on the case (China, maybe?). Depending where your ukulele/accessories are made (you said Opio, so same as me), will affect the percentages. Probably a US made ukulele will fall under the free trade deal, but I'm not sure.

Alternatively, I've got ukuleles (from Mim and others) through USPS/Canada Post which, at most, charged 5% GST and a small processing fee, occasionally, no fees at all. HMS is great, but you have to factor in these extra costs in your purchase.

Last edited:
They ship DHL, which is very thorough in finding everything they can charge you for. With my two purchases, they collected GST, PST and a brokerage fee, 6% duty on my Thai built ukulele, 11% duty on the case (China, maybe?). Depending where your ukulele/accessories are made (you said Opio, so same as me), will affect the percentages. Probably a US made ukulele will fall under the free trade deal, but I'm not sure.

Alternatively, I've got ukuleles (from Mim and others) through USPS/Canada Post which, at most, charged 5% GST and a small processing fee, occasionally, no fees at all. HMS is great, but you have to factor in these extra costs in your purchase.

This post says it all. USPS is preferred way of shipping and had smooth tracking with Canada Post and easy pick up at the post office if they don't get you at home. You will still have to pay tax and duty though.

Although, Mim just shipped a ukulele to me via UPS, so I’ll have to see how much more that’ll cost in duties/fees than the usual USPS. Should make HMS more competitive now, assuming they both have what you want.

Although, Mim just shipped a ukulele to me via UPS, so I’ll have to see how much more that’ll cost in duties/fees than the usual USPS. Should make HMS more competitive now, assuming they both have what you want.

Turns out it was $105 on a $342 dollar purchase. Ouch. $63 of that is going straight to UPS for their fees. If it came via USPS/Canada Post it would have been $25-50 of taxes/fees depending if Can Post is collecting PST now. I generally try to avoid couriers for international orders, but this one caught me off guard.

Top Bottom