Worth CT LG vs Freemont Blackline?

Tom Karol

Reaction score
How would you compare these two string sets in terms of tone, volume, and tension on a Tenor? (This isn't really a, "What strings should I buy?" thread; I'm just looking for a comparison between these two in particular.) Thanks!

Don't think I've tried Worth CT on a tenor, but have had the Blacklines on 2 tenors. On a solid cedar top tenor, they sounded really good: very sweet balanced tone, good volume and tension seemed normal, not too hard or floppy. Sounded so good that I didn't want to change them until they were dead, despite having other premium string sets to try.

On a solid mahogany tenor, they sounded great at first, but I'm thinking they might be a bit darker sounding than I want. Not sure how much of that is due to the uke build, or maybe the Blacklines sound better on cedar top tenors than on mahogany tenors? Next up on that uke will be some clear flouros, I have Martin M620 and UkeLogic hard tension sets to try, seeking a bit more high end sparkle.

I've heard the BLs sound great on koa tenors, maybe try a set on your Koaloha.

Last edited:
Thanks John!
Yes, the reason I posted this is that I believe my KoAloha came with Worth CT's as the stock strings. I also believe that the BL's are similar and was curious about the difference between the two.
I use Martin M625s both on my Blackbird and Godin. I have used Martin M620's, most notably on a Kala Tri-Back I used to have, and I like them: They're bright and relatively high tension (despite the relatively thin gauge) - both good things in my view. However, I've found that on some Ukes the C (3rd) string can somewhat overpower the others.
And now for your viewing pleasure:
My Gear.jpg

I havent compared the two side by side, and not on a Tenor. But triwd them both on concert scale, and I remember the Fremont Blacklines having that peculiar texture to touch while the Worth strings don't. That alone would make me want to buy the Worth strings.

Top Bottom