Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neck Shapes

I have pretty big hands for a gal, but my Ohana has the most comfortable neck, for me. I'm not crazy about the shape of the neck on my Cocobolo, but I'm not changing it.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post

Unbelievable!
    Yes, unbelievable. Why are you still posting about this woman? Just ignore her and post about neck shape.

The ukulele's fretboard is narrow enough that the different neck shapes don't bother me too much. Although I find some shapes easier play, I think I can get along with pretty much anything. This is unlike a guitar, where I simply can't play some neck shapes (I blame small hands and short fingers).

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Why are you still posting about this woman?
    For sympathy, I guess.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I can relate to the sentiment that person was expressing to her. For someone who knows ukes and knows their preferences (or lack thereof) for neck shapes, it's "easy" to shop online or buy without trying, since you can look at specs or talk to current owners and get an idea of if a neck fits your preferences or not. On the other hand, a rank beginner doesn't really know if they even have preferences about neck shape, so it's hard to know if a particular neck will feel comfy or not without trying it first. But to take that logic a step further, a total rank beginner might not even really be able to think clearly about how a neck feels in their hand until they've gotten a few hours of practice in, so even if they try a few they may change their mind about which feels best once they've played for a few months and developed some basic muscle memory.

As a builder, I like it when a customer can say "I prefer exactly X" and then I can just build that. I also like it when a customer says "Just do what you do best" and there's a sense of understanding and trust that they'll be happy with it (or that we'll work it out if they're not). The problematic people are those who flip flop or say contradictory things, or just generally aren't sure what they want but also aren't willing or able to hand the decisions over to me. Sounds like this lady is one of those people. I used to get bent out of shape trying to help them figure things out, and I do think it's worth the benefit of the doubt to make an effort to do so, because some people will "grow out" of that and discover their preferences. But at some point you have to just offer what you can and then be ready to move on regardless of their response, without assuming the responsibility for their outcomes beyond what you're obligated to (if anything). If the obligation is just friendship or acquaintance

Necks do make a difference. Flukes/fleas vs skinny vs thick vs glossy vs satin, etc.

Can you catch me up on what decisions she’s actually made? Under 600? Concert or soprano? Solid wood top? Koa or something else?

Maybe you should tell her to save her money and buy an all laminate entry instrument for less than 150 shipped so she can better figure out what things are important to her as she starts out and at her one year anniversary she can treat herself to the “one”. She’ll be a better player and will have a better understanding of preferences. If she doesn’t take to it, then she’s only out the 100 or so. Conversely when she’s ready for the one she can gift the entry uke to someone or just keep it as a practice/beater.

Good luck
    Everyone I know who is into the ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves - George Harrison

Some of my faves right now: *Kamaka HF-3D2I *Kamaka HF-3D Anniversary *Kamaka HB-2D *Sumi Kobo Spruce/Maple Tenor *Blackbird Farallon Sunburst *Blackbird Clara *KoAloha KTM-00 *Concert Flea

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    Necks do make a difference. Flukes/fleas vs skinny vs thick vs glossy vs satin, etc.

Can you catch me up on what decisions she’s actually made? Under 600? Concert or soprano? Solid wood top? Koa or something else?

Maybe you should tell her to save her money and buy an all laminate entry instrument for less than 150 shipped so she can better figure out what things are important to her as she starts out and at her one year anniversary she can treat herself to the “one”. She’ll be a better player and will have a better understanding of preferences. If she doesn’t take to it, then she’s only out the 100 or so. Conversely when she’s ready for the one she can gift the entry uke to someone or just keep it as a practice/beater.

Good luck
    Would you like me to transfer this obligation to you?

I've given her sooo many choices and sooo much information and ukulele site links. At least she's narrowed it down to three. I really though that Pono was on the way. Too bad.

While I think a lot of that matters, it likely does not matter to an inexperienced player (or many experienced players as well). It takes quite a while with an instrument in one's hands to get a sense of what works for you. Some of us get way too fussy over making the "right" decision and end up impairing ourselves.

The all laminate idea sounds great for her, but iirc she was looking for a "one and only". My all laminate lives in my son's room!

I am a neck shape person, I had no idea a uke could feel just right until I got a neck I like. I thought my problem was just that uke necks are small and hard to hold, compared to my acoustic guitar, but really I had never tried a neck that I really liked!

Sorry Jerry! I feel your pain. I am in your boat regarding Pickleball advice, some people just see me as a pickleball advice dispenser!
    Too chicken to install strap buttons...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    For sympathy, I guess.
    Plus, it's fun to read about the continuing saga...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_O View Post
    The all laminate idea sounds great for her, but iirc she was looking for a "one and only". My all laminate lives in my son's room!
    Laminate and mahogany are not in the running.

Thread Information