Neck Shapes

Jerryc41

Reaction score
The woman who asked me to help her pick out a ukulele still hasn't decided. I thought she had settled on a Pono from HMS, but no.

She asked her landlord, a percussionist, to listen to a Pono, Bonanza, and Martin online. He made the situation worse. He said the most important thing is how it feels in her hand. Really?! I don't give a second thought to the neck. I just pick it up and play it.

Back in the early 20th century, when ukes were most popular, no one cared about the shape of the neck. They were all sopranos, and they all had the same neck. I have a Martin and a Bonanza, but there's no way I want her coming here and trying my ukes. She called a music store and left a message asking if they had those three ukes. :D

Unbelievable!

Boy, she's really prolonging the agony, and yours too!:D

Yes! She ended her last email, "Where can I go to try those ukes?" Not at my house! I think I've bought eight ukes while she's agonizing over one. I can guarantee that she will find problems with whichever one she finally buys.

This is funny. I do think that "neck feel" is actually good advice for both a beginner and non-beginner. A lot of the time, I find that that liking the feel of a neck contributes to how much I want to play a uke.

I find that feel in general is often overlooked. If you have a uke where the neck feels right, you can take it for granted. If you have a uke where the neck doesn't feel right, it's easy to accidentally attribute that feeling to something else, like the sound, especially if you're a beginner.

Anyway, I often give beginners that advice - that they shouldn't overlook how it feels in the hand and that's sometimes more important than sound (which beginners have a hard time judging anywa - plenty of ukes sound good when you play one chord but have mediocre sustain and mediocre tone when you're playing fast, and so on).

At the same time, I can tell that this person is indeed going to agonize forever and then be disappointed with whatever she gets. I hope she at some point accepts that she might have to buy more than one uke, whether that means constantly buying and re-selling until she finds *the one* or just embracing UAS.

I think at this point, I'd point her towards a Martin. If she can afford it, a mahogany one. If not, perhaps a made in Mexico one. They all have very good sound; played softly or loudly. The frets are nice. They are well-made. (Since they fixed that bridge problem.)

The neck seems to be comfortable for almost every player. Tall, short, long fingers, short fingers. The sound is great and people will ooh and ah over it. Most ukers know the name and reputation. I've never gotten a bad comment about my 1T IZ.

Otherwise, she'll love the one she decides on, until someone makes a negative comment, and then she'll be filled with doubt again.

Can't go wrong with a Martin.

Last edited:
Since the landlord overruled you, you should pass on giving her further advice. Beg out saying that it seems that the landlord (professional?) has ideas and that she should seek his help since you have taken her as far as you can. It is a little ironic that he mentioned neck shape since the Pono is one that apparently is thicker and occasionally mentioned as being uncomfortable.

I do think the feel of the neck is quite important as a player knows what they like, but to a new beginner I think it is moot as they don’t know yet what they like and don’t like. Personally, I much prefer a Pono neck over a Martin neck. Someone else will prefer the reverse.

Man, if I were you (and based on this situation I'm glad I'm not ha ha), I would distance myself immediately. On the other hand seeing as how you're from NY, perhaps you should encourage her to take a vacation to Ohau to visit HMS in person and try out every uke they have. Then change your email, phone, address, etc. Just my $.02. Good Luck!

I have pretty big hands for a gal, but my Ohana has the most comfortable neck, for me. I'm not crazy about the shape of the neck on my Cocobolo, but I'm not changing it.

Unbelievable!

Yes, unbelievable. Why are you still posting about this woman? Just ignore her and post about neck shape.

The ukulele's fretboard is narrow enough that the different neck shapes don't bother me too much. Although I find some shapes easier play, I think I can get along with pretty much anything. This is unlike a guitar, where I simply can't play some neck shapes (I blame small hands and short fingers).

I can relate to the sentiment that person was expressing to her. For someone who knows ukes and knows their preferences (or lack thereof) for neck shapes, it's "easy" to shop online or buy without trying, since you can look at specs or talk to current owners and get an idea of if a neck fits your preferences or not. On the other hand, a rank beginner doesn't really know if they even have preferences about neck shape, so it's hard to know if a particular neck will feel comfy or not without trying it first. But to take that logic a step further, a total rank beginner might not even really be able to think clearly about how a neck feels in their hand until they've gotten a few hours of practice in, so even if they try a few they may change their mind about which feels best once they've played for a few months and developed some basic muscle memory.

As a builder, I like it when a customer can say "I prefer exactly X" and then I can just build that. I also like it when a customer says "Just do what you do best" and there's a sense of understanding and trust that they'll be happy with it (or that we'll work it out if they're not). The problematic people are those who flip flop or say contradictory things, or just generally aren't sure what they want but also aren't willing or able to hand the decisions over to me. Sounds like this lady is one of those people. I used to get bent out of shape trying to help them figure things out, and I do think it's worth the benefit of the doubt to make an effort to do so, because some people will "grow out" of that and discover their preferences. But at some point you have to just offer what you can and then be ready to move on regardless of their response, without assuming the responsibility for their outcomes beyond what you're obligated to (if anything). If the obligation is just friendship or acquaintance

Necks do make a difference. Flukes/fleas vs skinny vs thick vs glossy vs satin, etc.

Can you catch me up on what decisions she’s actually made? Under 600? Concert or soprano? Solid wood top? Koa or something else?

Maybe you should tell her to save her money and buy an all laminate entry instrument for less than 150 shipped so she can better figure out what things are important to her as she starts out and at her one year anniversary she can treat herself to the “one”. She’ll be a better player and will have a better understanding of preferences. If she doesn’t take to it, then she’s only out the 100 or so. Conversely when she’s ready for the one she can gift the entry uke to someone or just keep it as a practice/beater.

Good luck

Necks do make a difference. Flukes/fleas vs skinny vs thick vs glossy vs satin, etc.

Can you catch me up on what decisions she’s actually made? Under 600? Concert or soprano? Solid wood top? Koa or something else?

Maybe you should tell her to save her money and buy an all laminate entry instrument for less than 150 shipped so she can better figure out what things are important to her as she starts out and at her one year anniversary she can treat herself to the “one”. She’ll be a better player and will have a better understanding of preferences. If she doesn’t take to it, then she’s only out the 100 or so. Conversely when she’s ready for the one she can gift the entry uke to someone or just keep it as a practice/beater.

Good luck

Would you like me to transfer this obligation to you? :D

I've given her sooo many choices and sooo much information and ukulele site links. At least she's narrowed it down to three. I really though that Pono was on the way. Too bad.

While I think a lot of that matters, it likely does not matter to an inexperienced player (or many experienced players as well). It takes quite a while with an instrument in one's hands to get a sense of what works for you. Some of us get way too fussy over making the "right" decision and end up impairing ourselves.

The all laminate idea sounds great for her, but iirc she was looking for a "one and only". My all laminate lives in my son's room!

I am a neck shape person, I had no idea a uke could feel just right until I got a neck I like. I thought my problem was just that uke necks are small and hard to hold, compared to my acoustic guitar, but really I had never tried a neck that I really liked!

Sorry Jerry! I feel your pain. I am in your boat regarding Pickleball advice, some people just see me as a pickleball advice dispenser!

Top Bottom