Neck Shapes

I'm someone who finds that necks make a huge difference for me. I've had to rehome some ukuleles I really liked because the neck didn't work out for me. But, I've had injuries to my fingers and hands, and that makes them cranky. If she doesn't have any special circumstances, it might not be as big a deal for her.

OTOH, I wouldn't have found what works for me without trial and error. Even if I had been able to play every ukulele in person before purchasing, it wouldn't have been clear to me what would or wouldn't work, unless I could have played a single ukulele for an extended period of time to try it out.

Since she clearly isn't sure what she is looking for, I think the suggestion to get a lower end ukulele, (but well set up so it's good to play - so maybe from Mim?), for starters would make more sense. Once she spends time with that, she can decide if she really wants anything else, or get a better idea of what her requirements are.

If she doesn't like that suggestion, I would think that all you can do is say that you're out of suggestions. This could drag on forever, and she likely won't be happy with whatever she does end up getting, (if she ever makes a decision.) If she is interested in getting something to start playing some music, she has enough information to make a first guess at her first ukulele, and she has to make that decision on her own now, IMO.

I'm someone who finds that necks make a huge difference for me. I've had to rehome some ukuleles I really liked because the neck didn't work out for me. But, I've had injuries to my fingers and hands, and that makes them cranky. If she doesn't have any special circumstances, it might not be as big a deal for her.

OTOH, I wouldn't have found what works for me without trial and error. Even if I had been able to play every ukulele in person before purchasing, it wouldn't have been clear to me what would or wouldn't work, unless I could have played a single ukulele for an extended period of time to try it out.

Since she clearly isn't sure what she is looking for, I think the suggestion to get a lower end ukulele, (but well set up so it's good to play - so maybe from Mim?), for starters would make more sense. Once she spends time with that, she can decide if she really wants anything else, or get a better idea of what her requirements are.

If she doesn't like that suggestion, I would think that all you can do is say that you're out of suggestions. This could drag on forever, and she likely won't be happy with whatever she does end up getting, (if she ever makes a decision.) If she is interested in getting something to start playing some music, she has enough information to make a first guess at her first ukulele, and she has to make that decision on her own now, IMO.

Yes, I recommended buying from Mim, but not contacting her. That would have been a mean thing to do - to Mim. :D

For me, necks do not matter physically, but they do philosophically. I do not feel any comfort or discomfort from any neck shape. I play them all: my tenor guitar has a thin bulbous neck, my kamaka a round C, and my custom a flattened D. However, now that I know about trapezoidal D necks, I would never bespeak any other variety. Having a flat surface for my thumb makes so much more sense to me than trying to press against a rounded surface. That's my philosophy on necks. It is completely intellectual; it doesn't affect my playing whatsoever, but it makes my brain happier knowing that I have a certain shape

Top Bottom