What's your favorite? (sound comparison)

Which one would you have kept?

Votes: 6 50.0%

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

Ludwig.

Reaction score
I liked the first one better. Had a more rounded, harp-like sound. Seemed to have a slightly more cohesive sound.

I assume the strings were the same?

Hard to tell the difference on my computer using headphones to listen. I guess #1 was a bit more mellow (whatever that means), so that would edge out #2, but really not a meaningful difference to me. Which one did you keep?

Boy, they’re pretty similar. I think I’m going to go with the consensus, I like #1. @deadpool said it was mellower, the word that came to my mind was sweeter. However, if, in real life, you felt #2 was better, there’s no need to second-guess your choice.

Second one for me. I mean, they were really similar, and I don't know if I could identify which was which, but from listening to the sound samples twice, I preferred the second.

I don't know if I would have described the first as more mellow, but I do tend not to prefer mellower ukes, so maybe that's it.

They were pretty similar, with nice bass resonance. The second one had a bit more note separation, making it maybe more suited for soloing. Lovely to hear these comparisons, so thanks for taking the time and documenting the samples.

Thanks for all your comments; that's very interesting. I added a poll to the thread and will reveal my choice and why a bit later. :-D Good to see that there seem to preferences for both instruments.

It was a tough decision. That's why it took me two month. :D

So, here's the reveal: I went with #2. (on the right) :cool:

DSC_0778-2.jpg

As mentioned, they're pretty close but #2 just seemed a bit more "clear sounding" to me, especially at its sweet spot around the 12th fret.

Ms Bean mentioned, #2 might be better for "soloing". Well, THAT's me - sitting with his ukes all alone in his spot for hours. :D

Good choice. I had a pretty clear preference for #2. To my ear it seems quite a bit more clear in tone.

I picked #2 in the poll, but didn't want to comment, for fear that you had decided to keep #1. LOL.
I agree that #2 seems more clear sounding.

Hope that you have lots of enjoyment from your ukulele.

They sound very similar, I think #2 is louder.
Have you normalized the 2 samples?

They sound very similar, I think #2 is louder.
Have you normalized the 2 samples?

No. I tried not to change the angle and distance to the mic (Shure MV88) too much though.

Actually, I'd say, #1 is slightly louder.

Here's some data, maybe it is interesting to you.

You are correct that some parts of #1 is definitely louder than #2; but I feel #2 is louder overall. I guess maybe that's debatable. Anyway, below is their amplitudes, #1 is on top and #2 is on bottom.
amplitude.jpg

I ran a spectrum analysis on the 2 sound files too. #1 actually has more dynamic range than #2, but it is too quiet so we cannot hear it.

Both sound very good. I think if #1 cannot be played normally just a bit louder, then #2 is the better uke. Otherwise, maybe #1.

Here's some data, maybe it is interesting to you.

You are correct that some parts of #1 is definitely louder than #2; but I feel #2 is louder overall. I guess maybe that's debatable. Anyway, below is their amplitudes, #1 is on top and #2 is on bottom.
View attachment 130863

I ran a spectrum analysis on the 2 sound files too. #1 actually has more dynamic range than #2, but it is too quiet so we cannot hear it.

Both sound very good. I think if #1 cannot be played normally just a bit louder, then #2 is the better uke. Otherwise, maybe #1.

Hey, thanks a lot for the science. :D That's very interesting! In the end, I guess, it pretty much depends on the personal preferences in playing style as well. I'd consider myself a pretty "cautious" player; not much of a down up down up strummer. I prefer gently brushing down the strings and search for sweet spots instead of being the loudest in the group (if there ever is one :D ).

Post dinner semi-coma, with my Sonos playing mellow jazz a few feet away.....

The first ukulele sounded a bit fuller
The second ukulele sounded bit brighter.

(I don’t know why my posts get chopped off)

Last edited:
The first one appealed to me more. Very nice sounding sopranos, both of them.

I would have kept the better looking one. They both sounded fine.

I bought the #1 (not arrived yet) and I voted #2. :D But I will certainly love mine.

Top Bottom