Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion on Next Ukulele Size?

Default Suggestion on Next Ukulele Size?

I've played guitar for many years, and recently started playing ukulele. I bought a tenor Kanile'a, but I've been wanting a smaller model, either a concert or soprano. I'm leaning towards a concert, as a soprano might be too small (considering I'm 6'4'', and thus have large hands).

Thoughts? Will a concert scratch that itch for a smaller uke, or should I go down to a soprano?

Mark

That depends on several things.
    What tone do you like? A soprano will be much chimier than a concert scale uke. A soprano scale neck will be quicker to get around on, which is nice for playing Bach pieces.
    Don't be too concerned about hand size, watch a John King video. Nut width can help too, or be a hindrance.
    I play strictly concert scale ukes, but I see a lot of tenor players skip that size and play sopranos too.
    Good luck!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

A long neck soprano may fit the bill here.

Giving it further thought, I realized I wanted to go to the opposite end of the spectrum as the tenor, and go with a soprano with the standard scale length. My first uke (or rather one I bought my daughter, which I occasionally played) was a Flea soprano, and the petite size is what interested me; it's like the perfect couch instrument. Though I like the tenor, I realize its larger size isn't as easy to play when lounging; it requires better posture.

I just ordered a Kanile'a Honu Premium Koa Soprano! My daughter will dig the turtles, and we can play duets on the uke.

Congrats!

What made you decide on the Kanile'a?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF786 View Post
    I've played guitar for many years, and recently started playing ukulele. I bought a tenor Kanile'a, but I've been wanting a smaller model, either a concert or soprano. I'm leaning towards a concert, as a soprano might be too small (considering I'm 6'4'', and thus have large hands).
    Mark
    FWIW- I am tall and play soprano I love that size

Giving it further thought, I realized I wanted to go to the opposite end of the spectrum as the tenor, and go with a soprano with the standard scale length. My first uke (or rather one I bought my daughter, which I occasionally played) was a Flea soprano, and the petite size is what interested me; it's like the perfect couch instrument. Though I like the tenor, I realize its larger size isn't as easy to play when lounging; it requires better posture.

I just ordered a Kanile'a Honu Premium Koa Soprano! My daughter will dig the turtles, and we can play duets on the uke.
    Nice choice! Kanile'as have a wider fretboard, so that will help. Although, I have an Iz tenor and the fretboard is narrower than even my old Martin soprano.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

I first chose Kanile’a for my tenor. A guy over at HMS / theukulelesite.com suggested the brand, and as I did more research, it seemed like they were fairly innovative in their designs and manufacturing processes. There were some minor things I liked, like using bridge pins to fasten the strings versus a tie bridge. When I received the uke, I was impressed with the quality and sound.

In any case, when getting a soprano, it seemed like the natural choice to get a Kanile’a again. And in seems inevitable that I’ll get a concert at some point :-/

I own many high-end guitars, and have owned many more in the past. I tend to be very discerning, and Kanile’a lived up to my standards.

I first chose Kanile’a for my tenor. A guy over at HMS / theukulelesite.com suggested the brand, and as I did more research, it seemed like they were fairly innovative in their designs and manufacturing processes. There were some minor things I liked, like using bridge pins to fasten the strings versus a tie bridge. When I received the uke, I was impressed with the quality and sound.

In any case, when getting a soprano, it seemed like the natural choice to get a Kanile’a again. And in seems inevitable that I’ll get a concert at some point :-/

I own many high-end guitars, and have owned many more in the past. I tend to be very discerning, and Kanile’a lived up to my standards.
    I like Kanilea but if I were to buy a Hawaiian made soprano I would opt for a Kamaka. They are so traditional in looks and sound, plus you are varying your selection and Kamaka is the oldest Hawaiian builder, over 100 years old. Just some food for thought
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I like Kanilea but if I were to buy a Hawaiian made soprano I would opt for a Kamaka. They are so traditional in looks and sound, plus you are varying your selection and Kamaka is the oldest Hawaiian builder, over 100 years old. Just some food for thought
    It might be like a Taylor vs Martin comparison. And I prefer Taylor over Martin

Thread Information