Suggestion on Next Ukulele Size?

MarkF786

Reaction score
I've played guitar for many years, and recently started playing ukulele. I bought a tenor Kanile'a, but I've been wanting a smaller model, either a concert or soprano. I'm leaning towards a concert, as a soprano might be too small (considering I'm 6'4'', and thus have large hands).

Thoughts? Will a concert scratch that itch for a smaller uke, or should I go down to a soprano?

Mark

That depends on several things.
What tone do you like? A soprano will be much chimier than a concert scale uke. A soprano scale neck will be quicker to get around on, which is nice for playing Bach pieces.
Don't be too concerned about hand size, watch a John King video. Nut width can help too, or be a hindrance.
I play strictly concert scale ukes, but I see a lot of tenor players skip that size and play sopranos too.
Good luck!

Giving it further thought, I realized I wanted to go to the opposite end of the spectrum as the tenor, and go with a soprano with the standard scale length. My first uke (or rather one I bought my daughter, which I occasionally played) was a Flea soprano, and the petite size is what interested me; it's like the perfect couch instrument. Though I like the tenor, I realize its larger size isn't as easy to play when lounging; it requires better posture.

I just ordered a Kanile'a Honu Premium Koa Soprano! My daughter will dig the turtles, and we can play duets on the uke.

Congrats!

What made you decide on the Kanile'a?

I've played guitar for many years, and recently started playing ukulele. I bought a tenor Kanile'a, but I've been wanting a smaller model, either a concert or soprano. I'm leaning towards a concert, as a soprano might be too small (considering I'm 6'4'', and thus have large hands).
Mark

FWIW- I am tall and play soprano I love that size

Giving it further thought, I realized I wanted to go to the opposite end of the spectrum as the tenor, and go with a soprano with the standard scale length. My first uke (or rather one I bought my daughter, which I occasionally played) was a Flea soprano, and the petite size is what interested me; it's like the perfect couch instrument. Though I like the tenor, I realize its larger size isn't as easy to play when lounging; it requires better posture.

I just ordered a Kanile'a Honu Premium Koa Soprano! My daughter will dig the turtles, and we can play duets on the uke.

Nice choice! Kanile'as have a wider fretboard, so that will help. Although, I have an Iz tenor and the fretboard is narrower than even my old Martin soprano.

I first chose Kanile’a for my tenor. A guy over at HMS / theukulelesite.com suggested the brand, and as I did more research, it seemed like they were fairly innovative in their designs and manufacturing processes. There were some minor things I liked, like using bridge pins to fasten the strings versus a tie bridge. When I received the uke, I was impressed with the quality and sound.

In any case, when getting a soprano, it seemed like the natural choice to get a Kanile’a again. And in seems inevitable that I’ll get a concert at some point :-/

I own many high-end guitars, and have owned many more in the past. I tend to be very discerning, and Kanile’a lived up to my standards.

I first chose Kanile’a for my tenor. A guy over at HMS / theukulelesite.com suggested the brand, and as I did more research, it seemed like they were fairly innovative in their designs and manufacturing processes. There were some minor things I liked, like using bridge pins to fasten the strings versus a tie bridge. When I received the uke, I was impressed with the quality and sound.

In any case, when getting a soprano, it seemed like the natural choice to get a Kanile’a again. And in seems inevitable that I’ll get a concert at some point :-/

I own many high-end guitars, and have owned many more in the past. I tend to be very discerning, and Kanile’a lived up to my standards.

I like Kanilea but if I were to buy a Hawaiian made soprano I would opt for a Kamaka. They are so traditional in looks and sound, plus you are varying your selection and Kamaka is the oldest Hawaiian builder, over 100 years old. Just some food for thought

I like Kanilea but if I were to buy a Hawaiian made soprano I would opt for a Kamaka. They are so traditional in looks and sound, plus you are varying your selection and Kamaka is the oldest Hawaiian builder, over 100 years old. Just some food for thought

It might be like a Taylor vs Martin comparison. And I prefer Taylor over Martin :)

It might be like a Taylor vs Martin comparison. And I prefer Taylor over Martin :)

If you like the Taylor's more modern/brighter sound, then you really should try a Kamaka. You should also try KoAlohoas, which are crystal-breaking bright sounding ukuleles.

A better Taylor vs Martin comparison might be KoAloha vs Kamaka. In many ways, I think, when comparing Kamaka and Kanile'a, the Kamaka is the Taylor while Kanile'a has the Martin-type sound.

Oh, BTW, I also prefer Taylor guitars over Martins; and I only own Taylor acoustic guitars. Overall, if you like the Taylor sound, then you are in luck because their guitars are just ever so slightly cheaper than Martin street prices. BUT, Taylors don't hold their values as well as Martins (a casualty of innovation, ok, some would call "dubious innovation", but nonetheless, old Taylors don't hold value as well as Martins, even 3-year old Taylors pre-V-class bracing drops vs V-class).

Come to think of it, Kamakas do hold their values better than Kanile'a; of course, Kamaka is an older company than Kanile'a (or any other uke maker). So, maybe there's something other than sonic qualities that relates to Kamaka being compared to Martin. (I think that's an honor for Kamaka.)

Truth be told, I’ll probably stick with Kanile’a for my small growing collection. I already have 21 other stringed instruments, a piano, an organ, six synths, and various wind instruments :-/ And that’s after downsizing. I think 3 good ukes will fill my need.

Last edited:
Oh, BTW, I also prefer Taylor guitars over Martins; and I only own Taylor acoustic guitars. Overall, if you like the Taylor sound, then you are in luck because their guitars are just ever so slightly cheaper than Martin street prices. BUT, Taylors don't hold their values as well as Martins (a casualty of innovation, ok, some would call "dubious innovation", but nonetheless, old Taylors don't hold value as well as Martins, even 3-year old Taylors pre-V-class bracing drops vs V-class).

Come to think of it, Kamakas do hold their values better than Kanile'a; of course, Kamaka is an older company than Kanile'a (or any other uke maker). So, maybe there's something other than sonic qualities that relates to Kamaka being compared to Martin. (I think that's an honor for Kamaka.)

In my mind Kamaka sooner equates with Martin than Taylor. For me Taylor is more of a split between Kanile'a (production) and KoAloha (bright sound/easy playability). The only reason I don't think of Kamaka as the Martin of ukuleles is because Martin already makes ukes.

This makes me a bit curious, I wonder how much the distinct characteristics of guitar companies are put into all their instruments. Martin ukes tend to sound alike, but I'm not sure they make me think of Martin guitars. If Taylor made ukes (I know they made a few) would they be bright and easy to play? Do Collings ukes have the same characteristics as Collings guitars? Breedlove? Gretch? Gibson? Larrivee? Seems to me for at least some of these manufacturers, the ukes aren't similar at all to the guitars. I've heard there's a tendency for guitar makers to overbuild their ukes.

Going the other way, I wonder if Pono, Anuenue, and Islander guitars sound like their ukes. I believe Kamaka once made guitars--that would be interesting to hear. Sorry, that's me on a tangent, unrelated to what size or brand MarkF786 should go to.

I believe Kamaka once made guitars--that would be interesting to hear. Sorry, that's me on a tangent, unrelated to what size or brand MarkF786 should go to.
Taking this thread a bit further afield, and following up on rafter's comment that it would be interesting to hear a Kamaka guitar, anyone with similar curiosity should visit the Ukulele Friends museum webpage. It has sound samples of at least two Kamaka guitars. If you haven't visited the website, it's a showcase for some absolutely amazing ukuleles and guitars.

Top Bottom