What's the best all carbon/ fiberglass uke?

Yup, I've tried a few and settled on the Klos. Great value for the price. Blackbirds are terrific as well though a bit beyond my budget. When the times allowed for travel, the Klos was a perfectly reliable travel pal.

Cant speak to “best” as my Klos is the only woven fabric composite uke I’ve played, but I love it! Great sound and feel.

Were I buying today I’d look at the Synergy ukes - they have a full range of sizes (Klos is tenor only last I looked) and very good prices - I think they’re about the same or less than Klos before taking into account exchange rate and Black Friday discount.

If I preferred soprano and wasn’t in a hurry I’d check out Antico Ukeleleria (not carbon fiber, but the same process with bio-composite & woven fabric)

For travel you may want to aim smaller. I’ve left the Klos behind because of bulk. My flight soprano isn’t as tough, but it’s tough enough for me, fits better in a pack, and is inexpensive enough I won’t stress about it getting lost or stolen

Last edited:
I have played every model Blackbird. I have a Clara and Farallon and a Rider guitar.
All great sounding and playing instruments. They travel well in the motor home.

I have experience with lots of composite instruments, and as far as carbon fiber is concerned, Sumi Maru out of Japan makes my favorites. They're the only ones other than Emerald Harp ukes that have a 38mm nut. If you want a warmer sound, the ekoa Blackbird instruments have that, but I'm still unsure how they compare to carbon fiber in durability. I'm curious to see how the Synergy instruments turn out since they have all sizes available in both materials at very competitive prices.

Top Bottom