License Plate Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'd like to make a uke based on a license plate, but it seems to me that it would need a pickup. Drilling a large sound hole in the license plate would defeat the purpose. If I made the body larger than the plate, I could put four sound holes in the corners.

If I have to buy a pickup, that would make this a relatively expensive project. Any suggestions?

Wait. You need a pickup for your license plate. Don't you have that backwards? :p;)

I'd like to make a uke based on a license plate, but it seems to me that it would need a pickup. Drilling a large sound hole in the license plate would defeat the purpose. If I made the body larger than the plate, I could put four sound holes in the corners.

If I have to buy a pickup, that would make this a relatively expensive project. Any suggestions?

Sound hole(s) can go in the sides.

If you go back through the archives a few weeks, there was a thread with a lot of information about inexpensive diy preamps that can be used with dirt-cheap piezo pickups.

OK, I'm officially flummoxed. What the heck is a "license plate Uke," and what does it look like? I can't imagine what it would be. But, nonetheless, I won't let that stop me from commenting. What about using one of those silly "love" plates, like "I ❤️ NY" and making the "❤️" the sound hole?

Nice. Where did you locate the pickups? Did you try different places to see how they sounded?

Nice. Where did you locate the pickups? Did you try different places to see how they sounded?

The pickup has two "pickups," and I attached them to the backing board under the bridge. Each one comes with a peel-off backing, and they are very sticky. I've always seen pickups stuck under the bridge, so that's where I put them.

I took advice and put some double-sided cushioning tape between areas of the plate and the body. I think that deadened it more that I wanted. It's rather quiet without the amp. I used my little Honey Tone amp, and it sounds great (as far as I'm concerned). I'll try the Fender later.

In trimming the neck, I wound up cutting off the little piece of fretboard that used to overhang the plate. Too bad. I put the plug-in thingy on the bottom side so I can still stand it up on end. I also replaced the black tuners. They were garbage!

105.jpg 106.jpg

If I make another one, I might use the neck that's a stick straight through the body. I like the traditional look, though.

The pickup has two "pickups," and I attached them to the backing board under the bridge. Each one comes with a peel-off backing, and they are very sticky. I've always seen pickups stuck under the bridge, so that's where I put them.

I took advice and put some double-sided cushioning tape between areas of the plate and the body. I think that deadened it more that I wanted. It's rather quiet without the amp. I used my little Honey Tone amp, and it sounds great (as far as I'm concerned). I'll try the Fender later.

In trimming the neck, I wound up cutting off the little piece of fretboard that used to overhang the plate. Too bad. I put the plug-in thingy on the bottom side so I can still stand it up on end. I also replaced the black tuners. They were garbage!

View attachment 132393 View attachment 132394

If I make another one, I might use the neck that's a stick straight through the body. I like the traditional look, though.

Thanks for this shot. I have a better view of your tailpiece setup. I'm figuring you bolted the bridge on before you sealed it up. Wood brace underneath right?+

Last edited:
Thanks for this shot. I have a better view of your tailpiece setup. I'm figuring you bolted the bridge on before you sealed it up. Wood brace underneath right?+

I have a thin strip of wood under the bridge. I knew that no kind of glue would hold the bridge to the plate, so I used four tiny bolts. I used super glue and those four bolts. The plate is attached with four license plate screws, so it's easy to remove. I might make another one using 1/4" plywood and a straight-through neck.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tailpiece," but I didn't use what I consider a tailpiece.

Top Bottom