Ukulele vs Guitar for Christmas Music

mikhou

Reaction score
So I've been playing uke for about 3-4 years now, and I pretty much only get my guitar out now occasionally. However, my 14-year old has gotten into guitar so I've swung back that direction quite a bit recently so that we can play together.

Then today (being the day after Thanksgiving), I started playing some Christmas songs on my uke, and, man, does the uke just shine on Christmas songs. I love it!

That's all. I'm just extolling the beauty of the uke for chord melody/fingerstyle Christmas music.

So I've been playing uke for about 3-4 years now, and I pretty much only get my guitar out now occasionally. However, my 14-year old has gotten into guitar so I've swung back that direction quite a bit recently so that we can play together.

Then today (being the day after Thanksgiving), I started playing some Christmas songs on my uke, and, man, does the uke just shine on Christmas songs. I love it!

That's all. I'm just extolling the beauty of the uke for chord melody/fingerstyle Christmas music.

Why not combine the best of both worlds, with your 14-year old on guitar and you on the ukulele?

Whichever you feel like. I mean, it doesn't really make any difference which one you use and I don't think you both have to play the same instrument.

Jerome and Rllink hit it on the button! This Fall a longtime musical buddy and I started a duo in which he plays the nylon-string guitar and I play my uke. We both sing, taking turns on lead vocals and doing two-part harmonies where applicable. I keep the uke in the "a D F# B" tuning. We do an assortment of our favorite songs from the 60's and 70's, and it works impressively well. The two instruments "stay out of each other's way", so the sound is pleasing to the ear (and several folks have commented on that aspect).

Do you have a favorite Christmas fingerstyle book, Mikhou?

Do you have a favorite Christmas fingerstyle book, Mikhou?

No, I have just picked up some things here and there. There's a nice free one that focuses on chord melody at ukeeducation.org. And then I've found a few songs here and there and thought, "I want to learn that."

Top Bottom