Thoughts on the kanile'a 2020 Platinum and other Platinums

PeterRabit

Verified Account
Reaction score
Does anyone own the 2020 Platinum? What are your thoughts if you do? How does it play, sound etc and have you any videos to share? I've not seen much at all about this one on the forum.

Generally what do people think of the 2020 as compared to the 2019 or 2018 Platinums? The only thing I'm not sure about is the etching on the front. I know what it symbolises but not sure if I like it or think it spoils it a little...

Thoughts?

The 2017 Spruce/Walnut Super Concert is the only one I wish I had bought and would still love to own. I liked everything apart from the silly sound port on last years model and I think this years is plain ugly and hugely overpriced. I hope the 2021 Platinum is much better.

My experience of the 2019 is that it's got a great sound, lots of projection and real punch. I don't mind the sound hole, for me it balances nicely with the headstock. But generally the Pineapple shape just doesn't seem to be my thing. Shame really as everything else about the 2019 is a real winner.

I'd also be interested to hear about the sound of the 2020. Really interested to see what next year's platinum will bring. Hopefully the price won't increase year on year though

Every uke sounds different, even ones of the same model.

Me personally the 2016 was the most beautiful, simple and familiar with just a little more ‘wow’ the Mars rose wood is mind melting. Think the 2020 is beautiful too but a little too futuristic for my minimal taste, still glad to see them not spoil it with abolone which for me personally always looks tacky ymmv.

I did thanks, was wondering if any other UU members had any other input on the 2020. Haven't seen much about this model at all really.

Pix.fairydust the 2019 Platinum you have for sale has some of the best koa I have ever seen. Wow wow wow.

Off to look at the 2016 and 2017 models!

I did thanks, was wondering if any other UU members had any other input on the 2020. Haven't seen much about this model at all really.

Pix.fairydust the 2019 Platinum you have for sale has some of the best koa I have ever seen. Wow wow wow.

Off to look at the 2016 and 2017 models!

The 2015 model is also pretty nice.

I like the soundhole and the scoop in the 2020 Platinum. I really do not like the inlay design. I understand it has historic significance to native Hawaiian culture. But I just don't like the way it looks on the soundboard and the fretboard.

Soundwise, from the videos, I think it sounds terrific. I like Kanile'a tenors very much. And the 2020 Platinum sounds among the best.

best sounding Kanile'a i have played not sure if you saw this video

https://vimeo.com/467941770

Aloha, Braddah Len! That one does sound awfully sweet, and it's still in stock. If I hadn't already spent too much moolah this year, I'd be tempted. Heck, I am tempted, but who knows what 2021 has in store?

Aloha, Braddah Len! That one does sound awfully sweet, and it's still in stock. If I hadn't already spent too much moolah this year, I'd be tempted. Heck, I am tempted, but who knows what 2021 has in store?

Hoping to find a used one as new the price is just a bit too high. Have to factor in customs charges too

Top Bottom