Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D'Adarrio humidify paks on sale

Default D'Adarrio humidify paks on sale

For those with many ukes in dry, cold climates... Amazon's screamin' deal TODAY at $38 for 12.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKBLGZC...ing=UTF8&psc=1

My UU friend Jon gave me a brilliant idea to buy these bulk bags to protect the paks rather than buying the expensive kits:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074F32S49..._PGTWFbN43DDK5
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype sop, Peter Howlett #153
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Martin O sop, 1920's
    Martin O sop, 1960's
    Bruko Cedar/Mahogany archback
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG sop
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Blue Frog semi-custom LN soprano #1, Vic Jones
    Sawchyn hog concert (Martin copy), Peter Sawchyn
    Kamaka white label concert
    Kala KA-ASOV-C
    Kala Elite 1MHG tenor SN

Not a bad price on these! I've always wondered if the protective covers are really necessary for ukes? Probably yes if draping them over the strings, but I tend to only use the paks near the headstock. I've never covered them and haven't had an issue.
    Last edited by jksk8in; 11-28-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jksk8in View Post
    Not a bad price on these! I've always wondered if the protective covers are really necessary for ukes? Probably yes if draping them over the strings, but I tend to only use them near the headstock. I've never covered them and haven't had an issue.
    So you think the body gets plenty of humidity even if positioned at the headstock?
    I'm an anxious one... and MN is crazy dry mid sub-0 temps.
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype sop, Peter Howlett #153
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Martin O sop, 1920's
    Martin O sop, 1960's
    Bruko Cedar/Mahogany archback
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG sop
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Blue Frog semi-custom LN soprano #1, Vic Jones
    Sawchyn hog concert (Martin copy), Peter Sawchyn
    Kamaka white label concert
    Kala KA-ASOV-C
    Kala Elite 1MHG tenor SN

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    So you think the body gets plenty of humidity even if positioned at the headstock?
    I use a refillable oasis in the sound hole and a pk at the headstock.
    Last edited by jksk8in; 11-28-2020 at 03:02 PM.

No. I used an Inkbird hygrometer to measure the RH in the body of an tenor ukulele in two different hard cases. I placed a new 49% Boveda Pack in the headstock area of the case, then a pack in the heel area, and then hanging inside the ukulele body from a string. (I used a Velcro-type cord tie to hold it in place.)

This was not a scientific, carefully-controlled experiment. I used an Inkbird hygrometer/thermometer that was +/- 1% of two larger hygrometers when measuring room RH. I also placed the packs inside a Boveda pouch. I left the case open for a day in order for the case to air out between measurements. Note, the lining materials in hardcases, and the wood in the construction of the Oahu I used for this can absorb moisture over a period of time. This experiment was probably too short for this to be an issue.

The RH inside the uke body read 22-25% with just a pack in the headstock location. (I had read a comment in an article that the storage compartment in most hard cases blocks the air in the head area from flowing to the body area. It seems to be true.

The RH inside the uke body read 43-47% with a pack placed in the case by the heel of the uke. I kind of cram it into the space.

The RH inside the uke body read 52-55% with a single pack hanging from the strings into the body of the tenor.

If you are worried about the pack providing enough humidity, I encourage you to get an hygrometer as well. The Inkbird remembers the highest and lowest readings as well as the current one.

The Boveda and the D'Addario pouches have a permeable coating inside the pouch that is supposed to prevent a leaking pack from damaging the instrument. I use it because I think the cloth is better touching the finish of the uke than the paper of the pack. (No proof one way or the other.)
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thanks to Tracie for sharing and Kenn for the data. I've been looking for a good humidification solution and I think this in the headstock area plus a body humidifier should do. Price drop is pretty good--was $55 yesterday. Will be good to have a few of these in the case, and doing the recharge rotation as described by people in the reviews.

Stacked with the Amex discount made it even better--click to check whether you're targeted: https://amzn.to/2KQjnNa

For those with many ukes in dry, cold climates... Amazon's screamin' deal TODAY at $38 for 12.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKBLGZC...ing=UTF8&psc=1

My UU friend Jon gave me a brilliant idea to buy these bulk bags to protect the paks rather than buying the expensive kits:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074F32S49..._PGTWFbN43DDK5
    thank you!

Note that if you don't need 12 of these, the 3-packs are also on sale. Unit cost is a bit higher: $3.89 vs $3.18 each but still lower than normal.

John

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyUke View Post
    Note that if you don't need 12 of these, the 3-packs are also on sale. Unit cost is a bit higher: $3.89 vs $3.18 each but still lower than normal.

John
    What do you mean...I don't have too many instruments....

Thanks Tracie! Just grabbed the 12 pack. Way more than I need since I mostly use my homemade humidifiers for my ukes, but I've been meaning to grab some for my guitar
    Pohaku "Yellow Label" Mahogany Soprano
    Weymann Model 10 Mahogany Soprano (c. 1918)
    Uke.S.A. Hawaii (by "Pops KoAloha") Bearclaw AO Soprano

Thread Information