POSSIBLE THREAD FOR SOTU 459 - Fairy Tales and Folk Tales

This song is so old that the lyrics are part of folk legend... so I thought it fit the bill.

I love a good Disney song but don't usually go in for the big princess ballad though. This one is different though.

An Estonian song about animals having a feast - "Mutionu pidu" (Uncle Mole's Party, 1926 / 1931) by Alide Dahlberg and August Kiiss. The original, mostly forgotten lyrics had 18 verses, which described how the animals drank too much beer, had a fight and "the Magpie lost his tail and the Moose is still limping..." But luckily, here is a well-known version with only 6 verses. :)

Today we had new stories and songs to explore, brought to us by Lynda, Jim, Rob, Brian, Joko, Ryan and Ylle. Thank you guys! The playlist should be up to date.
It's time for bed now. I'll see you all tomorrow!

My second submission this week is another Irish Legend. This time involving the adult Finn McCool. It purportedly explains the existence of the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland... in legendary terms.

On the Scottish end of the projected causeway, there is a similar series of basalt blocks. Ancient Irish and Scots peoples decided it must one day have been a causeway built by giants.

Note: the name of the baby in the story is Irish for "Invincible".

Hope you enjoy:

The story of Tam Lin is known to have been around in the mid-1500s. I know it from the Fairport Convention version, back when Sandy Denny was the singer and Richard Thompson was the lead guitarist.

Hey gang. Long time, no see.

I am heavily and liberally applying the Thorton Rule this week, as I just wanted to get something down, it has been so long.

I picked Agnus Dei and, I have been reliably informed that God is a sky wizard....and so any religious songs count as fairy tales to at least some people, my personal opinion aside.

Anyway, here is a song.

I have a feeling that if Trent were still contributing to the seasons that he would slay this one. You'll just have to listen to my boring rhythm strum instead. Courtesy of St. John's own Stompin' Tom Connors

I was inspired by Pabrizzer's lovely noodle earlier in the Season to write some lyrics for that beautiful melody. So here is our long-distance collaboration - still called by the same name.

Hope you like:

The playlist has gained six more songs overnight and earlier this morning. We've had more contributions from Berni (solo artist and collaborating with Brian), Jim, Uke4ia, Allen, Andy. If your still on the fence about joining this week, please do! We've passed the half-way mark but there's still lots of time to jump in. So if you're new to the Seasons, or if you've been away for a while, we are waiting for you too!

Not an entry, but an alternative and more realistic view of fairy tales - mainly Cinderella. Not for the easily offended! :)

Hello again, Sabine! This is a bonkers, ageist, fairy-related song. I needed to cheer myself up as it is damp and grey here and threatening to start snowing at any moment. Can't believe how long it took to load up to YouTube - about an hour-and-a-half - hope it was worth it!

another homemade-y, inspired by soyal, the winter solstice celebration of the hopi. actually, the way the song turned out, it could be about pretty much any and all winter solstice traditions. this might be due to inadeqate song writing, OR, to the universal nature of winter solstice experience across the globe and all through history and prehistory. obviously i think it MUST be option 2!

"the warmth of summer will return"

Erlkoenig, a poem by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, has been set to music many times, but I love this setting by Franz Schubert. The poem dates to 1782 and this musical setting is from 1815. I've translated it from the original German so all can enjoy, though I love the Goethe's words. I'd be happy to post both here, if there is interest. The story is of a father a son riding home through a dark forest when one of two things happens: either the young boy is gravely ill and hallucinating, or they are attacked by an Elf King. You decide.

Not an entry, but an alternative and more realistic view of fairy tales - mainly Cinderella. Not for the easily offended! :)

As the father of a daughter, I loved the original "Mulan" movie because she was the first Disney heroine who actually did anything heroic. At one point, I catalogued the "signature hero move" of each of the Disney heroines up to that point:

Snow White - asleep, saved by prince
Sleeping Beauty - asleep, saved by prince
Cinderella - tries on shoe
Alice - wakes up (more than Snow or Aurora could manage)
Ariel - sells soul, saved by prince impaling witch with ship
Belle - tells ugly guy she loves him, right after he dies
Pocahontas - doesn't let father kill boyfriend
Mulan - defeats invading army, saves everyone

SOTU 459 - "Peggy O" is a traditional folk song that has been covered by Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Simon & Garfunkel and the Grateful Dead among many. Kev's playing resonator uke and I'm playing a Taylor Koa GS Mini guitar. Xing Xing backing us up as usual! On his version, Dylan said "I've been around the whole country, but I ain't never seen Fennario!" We dedicate this tune to our late friend and mentor Scott Alley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom