POSSIBLE THREAD FOR SOTU 459 - Fairy Tales and Folk Tales

bird's eye view of my ukelele

Reaction score
hello, it's me, BEV, i'm just re-posting Ms Bean's season here on the seasons main page, currently it is over on the UU contests main page, and might be a bit tricky for everyone to find.

i dunno if Ms Bean will continue with this thread, or re-post a new thread here herself, but i thought i'd just do this so the theme is up where more people will see it. Ms Bean, i hope this is OK!!!

Welcome to Season 459!

Time for some fairy tales and folk tales! You are all invited to bring us songs about these traditional tales.
You can:
a) bring us your own originals, based on fairy tale material;
b) perform songs from Disney movies, pantomimes, ballet, etc.
c) bring music by bands with fairy tale characters in their name (giants, Prince, etc)

Normal rules apply:

1. You can post your videos from 12:00 AM Sunday Hawaii time.
The fairy godmother is welcoming songs until the clock chimes midnight, Sunday December 6th.

2. Collaborations and multi-tracking are welcome.

3. No song limit.

Season 458 is still in full swing, so get that uke tuned up now!

Playlist SOTU 459

Have fun!

Sorry about that. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here. We'll continue with this thread instead of opening yet another one. Thanks for jumping in, Lynda. I've closed the first thread to minimise confusion.

Well, it's a great idea for the week, Sabine ... especially considering the dangerous "fairy tale" which is currently being promulgated in a certain land, far, far away!!! (Oops, sorry ... not supposed to be political here!) Looking forward to finding some songs ... hope you will enjoy your first "hosting week!"

Last edited:
I used to live in Durham (the one in North East England!). From the city, in the distance, you can see Penshaw Hill, and Penshaw Monument at the top. Legend has it that a young John Lambton went fishing one Sunday instead of going to church, the naughty man. He caught a strange little fish that he didn't recognise, so threw it away. Said fish grew into a huge worm, large enough to wrap itself around Penshaw Hill seven times, that terrorised the locals. To cut a long story short, Lambton eventually killed the worm, but a curse was put on his family in the process.

Anyway, there's a song about it, written for a Pantomime by C.M.Leumane in 1867 (he said authoritatively while glancing at Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Worm).

I don't really have the accent for this. I did it anyway.

"Everyone's a Giant" - a cover of a Michael P Smith song
Michael P Smith wrote this song for the stage adaptation of "The Selfish Giant". This was the opening number. He played it on a mandolin but here I'm using an 8 String Kamaka ukulele.
I've also raised the key from G to C

Woohoo, after 12 hours this Season is definitely off to a fantastic start! So far we've had offerings of giants, Little Red Riding Hood, the Kraken (and even some H.C. Andersen hidden in there), Disney, and folk tales and folk songs . I'm deeply impressed by all your early contributions. The playlist is up-to-date right now. I'll be back in the morning for more of this good stuff! Thanks everyone!

Thanks Ms Bean. Appreciate your hosting! I'm skirting on the edge of the theme equating folklore and mythology...but I've given myself the go ahead. I'm generous like that:). Plugged in here.

the pied piper - can you use a uke for that sort of thing?

homemade song for the season, "the pied uke-er of london"

(vid contains loads of fancy rat pics and vid clips, i think rats are adorable but i know not everyone agrees, so just giving people the heads up!)

Thanks so much for hosting Sabine - you’re in for a great week. :)
That said, I hope I’m not pushing my luck with this rather sad song about growing up - not a traditional fairy tale as such, but it contains a dragon, kings, princes and pirates so I’m hoping will qualify on those grounds?

I'm maybe bending the rules here slightly. I love telling stories when I write songs, but normally I rely on words. Here I've tried to tell a story with an instrumental. I'm picturing a character wandering through an enchanted forest, not the nice kind, when suddenly they're pursued by an unknown entity. A tense stand of follows, but eventually our character makes it out the other side.

I'm maybe bending the rules here slightly. I love telling stories when I write songs, but normally I rely on words. Here I've tried to tell a story with an instrumental. I'm picturing a character wandering through an enchanted forest, not the nice kind, when suddenly they're pursued by an unknown entity. A tense stand of follows, but eventually our character makes it out the other side.

The dark woods or a forest is indeed a familiar setting in numerous fairy tales.

The House At Pooh Corner by Kenny Logins. I learned this from The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy LP.

I've had it pointed out tome that I somehow lost 97 acres of the Hundred Acre Wood. My apologies to A.A. Milne.

Last edited:
I may be stretching the theme a bit here, but I originally thought of doing this Elvis Costello song as a medley with another about beasts. Then I found that the lyrics of this one mentions legends, a prince (charming) and beasts. So I just did the one. The other one might happen later in the week if time allows.

Top Bottom