POSSIBLE THREAD FOR SOTU 459 - Fairy Tales and Folk Tales

I had a day off today so I used it productively. The intro video said They Might Be Giants would fit, so obviously it'd be rude not to. Here's a song about getting older.

This features Cornelius the baritone and Judas the solid body electric concert. It's totally normal to name your ukuleles, right?

The House At Pooh Corner by Kenny Logins. I learned this from The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy LP.

So no we travelled from Ryan's woods to the Hundred Acre Wood. I've added it to the playlist!

For Season of the Ukulele 459, the theme is Fairy Tales and Folk Tales. Here's Tutu Maramba, a Brazilian Folk Song describing a monster that takes the shape of a wild boar. It's played through first on a tenor ukulele as a chord melody solo, then it's repeated as a ukulele quartet, with three tenor ukuleles and Ubass.

The arrangements are from my book of ukulele arrangements, Ukulele Adventures:
https://emusmusic.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=14_48&product_id=3197

Our good friend Joo did the illustrations for the book, and the one for Tutu Maramba appears at the end of the video.

Thanks for hosting, Sabine!

Time to go to bed for me, but not before thanking all of you for visiting the thread and listening to the new entries.
I updated the playlist today with overnight Australian contributions from Brian and John. Lynda, Del, Ryan brought the daytime new songs. In the evening they were joined by Steve and Edwin. And North America has also woken up with Jim and Brian adding the last songs for this day.
Good night /day for now!

459 Fairy Tales and Folklore

The Nutcracker....Pyotr Tschaikowsky .

The version inspired by Bee Bumble and The Stingers by way of a Crackers Nut !! One take on each track (you can tell lol) I wasn't videoing the piano and recorded it onboard it's own memory so was more relaxed and kept it to only mildly frenzied and hecticastic !!

Disney songs eh? The Sherman Brothers strike again!

Thanks for hosting Ms Bean. It's always great when another seasonista climbs on the hosting bandwagon.

Thanks for hosting this week Sabine! I hope i've managed to touch enough points that fit the theme with this song. To me, it's a tale of the eternal quest we all go on in search of the perfect uke, or the perfect partner, or to know God. It also mentions, the highest mountain, and angels, and devils :)

Good morning /day everyone!

Overnight we had three further, very different additions from CeeJay, Andy and Kevin! The playlist has been updated, but I will certainly keep an eye on new entries during the day, so keep them coming!

Ooops!!! I got the season number wrong, sorry Sabine. I know it should be 459

Here is an Irish legend in song. I wrote it for a seminar on Irish Legends that I was due to give last year on St Patrick's Day (but a certain virus had other ideas).

The video is new. I cobbled it together from images purloined from the Internet this morning.

I hope you enjoy this legendary story about the origins of the young Finn MCool (Fionn mac Cumhaill in Irish).

Hello, Sabine, and thank you for the week! I have discovered that Donovan is a great source of material for this week's theme. This song comes from an album of 1971 ... "H.M.S.Donovan." Donovan set the words of Victorian poet, Thomas Hood, to music. (I tried to create an "otherworldly" sort of background by combining a tinkling bell sound effect with someone's pet cockatiel whistling (????) ... hmmm!)

Last edited:
December 1st so Christmas songs/jumpers will form the bulk of my content for the next few weeks.

This one explores a myth/fairy tale of sorts and has always been one of my favourite Christmas songs.

Sung by Cliff Edwards aka Ukulele Ike in the disney film Pinocchio.Apparently poor Cliff died destitute maybe he bought too many ukulele's

The Davy Crockett TV craze in the US was slightly before my time, but apparently it was quite the thing. Fess Parker, who starred in the series (and a later series as Daniel Boone) became a competent winemaker and hotelier in his retirement. At his Santa Barbara winery you could buy DVDs and tapes of the Davy Crockett shows. Also, a coonskin bottle topper for your wine. Ah, merchandising!

The Davy Crockett TV craze in the US was slightly before my time, but apparently it was quite the thing. Fess Parker, who starred in the series (and a later series as Daniel Boone) became a competent winemaker and hotelier in his retirement. At his Santa Barbara winery you could buy DVDs and tapes of the Davy Crockett shows. Also, a coonskin bottle topper for your wine. Ah, merchandising!

used to watch the show here in oz as a youngster - i even have a 'joke' based on this song
How many ears did Davy Crockett have?
Three - his left ear - his right ear - and his wild front ear

It's evening in the UK, so I just wanted to summarise this afternoon's new additions to the playlist.
The following artists had time after lunch to record their songs and updated the thread: Berni, Val, Ryan, Stanley and Rick!
Hopefully, there will be more music and fairy or folk tales coming in tomorrow, because it's really a lot of fun getting all these different flavours in.
I'll be back in the morning! Take care!

used to watch the show here in oz as a youngster - i even have a 'joke' based on this song
How many ears did Davy Crockett have?
Three - his left ear - his right ear - and his wild front ear

Since they call such things “dad” jokes here, we’ll call that a “pa” joke ... right? :D

Being an old fart, Davey Crocket was not before my time. My brother had a coonskin hat. I didn't get one of those, but I did get a genuine leather jacket with a fringed yoke just like Davey's.
I was tempted to get a coonskin cap on a road trip when we stopped at a souvenir store in Nova Scotia. I had Maggie take a picture instead.
hat-fur2.jpg

Here's a story with a song (Cantefable - especially a folk tale, consisting partly of prose and partly of sung or recited verse.)

I saw Pete Seeger tell this story in Hamilton in the early sixties and have told it to many groups of children over the years.

Abyoyo learned from Pete Seeger

Mickey playing uke.jpg My grandson Mickey playing Abyoyo

Last edited:
Good morning everyone! I've just updated the playlist with Lynda and Jim's new contributions, both of them absolutely fabulous! Give them a listen if you've got a moment!

Top Bottom