Alternative for Novelty Ukes

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I like to mess around with things, and ukuleles fall into the category of "things." I've discovered a wonderful material, available from Amazon and others. It's printable, adhesive vinyl. You can print a design, peal off the back, and apply it to almost anything.

I've scanned and printed stickers for uke cases, and I've printed larger graphics for ukes. I've also printed graphics for the fretboard. This material costs about $1.75 per sheet, and the printer sometimes messes up, so I waste some sheets.

They recommend setting paper to Glossy Photo Paper. My printer knows it isn't glossy photo paper, but it lets me press OK twice to continue printing. If you change your mind, I've found that it peals off easily. How waterproof it is depends on your ink. When I printed on the default Plain Paper setting, the ink too days to dry, so use the glossy setting. For ukuleles, I spray the graphics with Krylon Clear to protect it.

I'm working on a Halloween uke now, and I'm thinking about a Christmas model. Some examples below.

Vinyl - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7JWQWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

101.jpg 200.jpg 501.jpgPage 7.jpg

Very nice! I might look into that.

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing your designs. Reindeer & sleigh up the fretboard?

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing your designs. Reindeer & sleigh up the fretboard?

That depends on the fretboard I use. I'll probably use a Fluke for this. I just checked, and this Fluke has a light fretboard. I don't know if I replaced it or if I had Magic Fluke do it, but it's too pretty to cover up. I was thinking of a Christmas tree for the front. The shapes of both are complementary.

Pretty neat stuff. I particularly like the lightning bolt fretboard.

Just to be clear, is this adhesive backed, or just cling on type vinyl?

Thanks

Just to be clear, is this adhesive backed, or just cling on type vinyl?

Thanks

It's adhesive, but I've removed it easily from wood after a couple of days. They also make a clear vinyl, but the white background is usually necessary.

I'm trying to make a bridge for this uke, and if I ever get it done, I'll post pictures.

Top Bottom