Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass size to go with ukuleles

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I know that ABGs are not known for being the reasonable choice, but I still fancy one. Even though I dont expect to learn it very well. But like some people collect ukuleles in more numbers than me without playing them all very often, collecting a variety of different instruments can not be worse can it?. The reasonable choice for me would be to stick to my guitar, but I like some more gear :-)

I would wish I had the ears to learn fretless, but not going to happen. So double bass is out of the question.
    I researched strings a little bit on youtube, and I think I am going to end up buying a big ABG, and put some half rounds on it for a more mellow sound. That way the advantages of the shorter scales will be compensated for. I saw a youtube demo of normal round wounds vs flat wounds vs taped vs half rounds on the same ABG, and the half rounds sounded the best by far. It was an Emerald carbon fiber bass, but I guess it works on wood as well.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 12-02-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    3 tenors ukuleles and 4 concert ukuleles, wonder it that is enough.

test post test post

I pulled the trigger on a huge ABG, an early Christmas present for myself :-)

Lets see if I can manage to learn playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a huge ABG, an early Christmas present for myself :-)

Lets see if I can manage to learn playing it.
    What kind?

Quote Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
    What kind?
    The 34" Guild i linked to. Not the cheapest first bass, but I figured a nicer one would entice me to play more.
    I hope I will like the sound. I bought some half round strings too, I would like to mellow it up/ focus the sound a bit.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

You could try something made by TOM RIBBECKE.

Likely not a low budget item.

Still might need to be plugged in.

Wonderful luthier for sure.

I use a Hadean uke bass with those big Thundergut Aquila strings.

If I were buying today I'd give this Cordoba a hard look.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tural-mahogany

Nice to see more the post is still getting attention :-)

My 34" ABG arrived a week or two ago. I havent played it enough, but hope to find time to record a bass/uke recording for the Seasons of The Ukulele thread during this week.

This thread was mostly to hear opinions on the un-amplified volume of ABG's with scale lengths approx 22", 32" and 34", and if any of those would have enough volume for a quiet uke session.

This far I like the volume of my bass ok. It is definately more audibly in a more reverberant room, in the basement where I usually play it is a bit more quiet. I havent changed the strings yet. Changing to half round will probably take off some volume, but give a more focused sound.

So I actually went the other way with my accoustic bass I got some Rotosound TruBass (nylon tape wound) strings to put on my Dean playmates (I got a fretted and an frettless) I really love the sound of these strings! I pluck the hell out them for volume and I feel they still sound Great.

Perhaps I will try tapewounds some day.
    I bought some half rounds based on the comparison in the link below. I am not using an emerald bass, but those spoke the most to me. Still havent changed the strings.

https://emeraldguitars.com/2018/03/21/balor-strings/

Thread Information