Beginner Ukulele Overload!

Mukilteo Mike, If you are in Mukilteo WA, I'd suggest you make an appointment at Dusty Strings in Seattle and try some out. They have a good uke selection and at all price points.

Indeed I am in the Seattle area. I haven't heard of Dusty Strings, so thank you very much. That will probably prove useful down the road.

I'm sure I'm going with an under $100 starter now and am trying to make a choice. I'm also fairly certain I want a concert. Thus, my biggest two questions now are should I be concerned about getting one with a professional set-up, and,uh, what was my other question? Completely lost it. Regarding the question I can remember, I really want to get hooked on the uke, have fun, and keep playing. If I get one that is just a factory set-up, will it be so much harder to play that I'll likely abandon it?

My opinion
$100 Uke
Three chords— C. F. G7.
The action, tone may be less than optimum, but like a cheap piano, you can ‘see’ if you enjoy plunking around. Hundreds of songs from various categories can be played with three simple, easy to learn, easy to play, chords.

Then, head to a good music store and figure out what you want in terms of size, sound, strings, etc.
Do you like warm sounds, bright sounds, sustained or quickly dampen. A lot to consider, which is where UAS comes into play

My Banjolele, eight string, low G low C low E low A, acoustic/electric cutaway tenor....
All play different and sound different.

Good luck.

I've been 'listening' to the conversation and might have what you want.
Drop me a PM and I'll send you some info on a bargain I have over in Marketplace.
As soon as you mentioned leaning to a Concert size, I thought my journey and what I ended up with... very satisfied.
s2

Mukilteo Mike, I'm in Mill Creek as have several beginner (under $200)and some intermediate level ones ($400-800). If you're interested in trying some out, PM me and maybe we figure a safe way to make it happen. I have way too many and am truing to thinly herd.

I ended up going with a starter Ohana from Mim. With no knowledge of ukuleles, I figured it best to have an expert set me up with something basic. Thanks to everyone who gave me their opinions. I'm totally excited.

I ended up going with a starter Ohana from Mim. With no knowledge of ukuleles, I figured it best to have an expert set me up with something basic. Thanks to everyone who gave me their opinions. I'm totally excited.

Good for you!

Top Bottom